Need help finding the right 2in1 for my artistic needs

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Soulular, May 9, 2021.

1. Soulular

Soulular Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love just buying a Tab S7 if it wasn't for the fact clip studio paint makes you pay monthly for the program on Android/Ipad rather then the one time payment like on Windows/Mac, which is a big no no for me personally.

I'll be doing some more research on 2 in 1's with a 360 Keyboard with EMR just to see what options are available in the 13.3 sizes, I imagine they aren't that much less portable then a 12 inch slates (besides the detachable keyboards).

Also maybe you can tell me if you have (had) a 360 keyboard 2 in 1, but to the buttons ever get worn down easier over time while you lay the laptop down on a table or your legs? because that was also one of my initial concerns for those kinds of laptops.

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, no keyboard issues yet with it, most 360 2-1's have the keyboard moved a bit inwards to protect it. So unless you place it on non-flat surfaces like rocks it should be fine.
    My priority would be checking if the hinge design is sturdy, preferably metal and metal around the hinges too. I also once had a 2-1 with a long bar of plastic as hinge too, that was sturdy too.

Soulular likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Honestly I think Clip Studio should look again - they may be trying subscription out to see if it's worth doing on Windows / MacOS but equally if people don't buy a subscription they will make it a one off payment. I'd like to see Procreate or simialr other Apps move over to Android - need to have serious alternatives to the Adobe behemoth.

No experience with a 360 laptop I'm afraid.

Soulular likes this.
  4. Soulular

That's good to know at least, and that's also a good point I'll definitely keep my eye out on that.

5. Soulular

I hope they just get rid of that method altogether in the future. It just feels a bit of a scummy practice to me to have subscriptions to programs like that, but only time will tell.

And no worries, figured I'd ask anyway just in case.

You did say you have a HP ZBook x2 correct? I saw one on ebay going for a good price and was wondering if it would be worth the investment?
    I've herd some things like the screen can have bad glare depending on the angles it's viewed at and that the battery life is around 3 hours or so before it needs to be plugged in, these aren't huge cons but I could see these being annoying to an extent. The biggest question I have is how comfortable/uncomfortable does it feel to use on your lap? The device seems like it's something that would mostly be used on a desk and not really anywhere else.

doobiedoobiedum and daddyfish like this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd hesitate to recommend the Zbook at this point. I have one and I love it, but it really serves very specific user cases. It does have a 2-3 hour battery life, but at full brightness its more around 2-ish, I usually get more around 1.5hrs. Now I haven't really had glare problems with mine, but the screen is kind of dim, like under 300 nits so you'll likely always be using it at full brightness. Also to note, although it does have an 8th gen processor, it was really a 7th gen device, like it was an early adopter of the 8th gen, which ages it a bit more in my opinion. And its not even that powerful anymore, it has a low level quadro graphics card, that the more recent Intel Iris Xe graphics (in the Pro 7+) more or less matches in bench marks. And the 8th gen CPU is still only a 15w. It still performs ok, but given a Surface Pro 7+ is like half as thin and half the weight and still gets the same performance with much better battery life, its just hard to recommend the zBook at this point. I use it more for coding, and its detachable bluetooth keyboard, form factor, and its monitor support makes it stupidly perfect my uses. Other uses, it likely won't fare as well.

And unless you have an Iron Lap, the Zbook X2 is best used on a desk cause it is a heavy and thick beast. I have used it on my lap for drawing once before (put the keyboard cover on reverse). A coffee shop I was at didn't have any more tabled seats, so I took a seat on the couch and drew till a table opened up. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I was so glad once a table opened. It also gets very warm, and the fan will run constantly. Not so much an issue at a coffee shop, but a quiet night at home on your couch, you'll well hear the fan.

Soulular likes this.
  7. Soulular

Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate it a lot. I do think after reading this I will hold off on the HP ZBook X2 as I feel like it has to many cons for what I'm looking for.

At the moment my choices are the Samsung Galaxy book 12 as my slate choice or a 13.3 Inch 2 in 1 with 360 keyboard and EMR if the latter ends up being a better choice to the GB12. For the 360 2 in 1 I've got my eyes on the HP EliteBook x360 1030 G3 (13.3"), New Latitude 5289 2-in-1 (12.5" or 13.3"), and the Galaxy Book Flex 13 (13.3"). I remember doobiedoobiedum stating that the the Galaxy Book Flex met my specs for cheaper but would it be better then the other two choices?

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just out of curiosity why not include the Switch 7, if you can order one from @doobiedoobiedum's links? EMR, similar battery life, and almost the same performance as the ZBX2 (in burst workloads like sketching) without the bulk.

Another question/recommendation: since the Elitebook and the Latitude are both Wacom AES, if you're willing to go with AES, I'd say you might as well look into high-quality MPP/N-Trig slates like the SP7 and Surface Book, or even the SPX (which can run CSP decently and the best slate form-factor I've ever held).

N-Trig gets a bad rap, but I've used N-Trig as my primary drawing device with the Vaio Z Canvas for 4 years daily—no issues in CSP, indeed the experience was quite good (if you can sketch at a decent speed). And I think @darkmagistric can attest to how good the SPX Slim Pen handles while drawing on the SP5.

doobiedoobiedum and daddyfish like this.
  9. Soulular

I honestly haven't herd much about the Acer Switch 7 but It also slipped my mind when trying to keep track of all my options, Also when I checked @doobiedoobiedum's link it brought me to the UK version of the sight, and when I switched to the US ver and looked it up there I couldn't find it, I think they were just using it as an example.

I did not know the Elitebook and latitude were Wacom AES, from the list i was looking at (here) it said they were EMR, or at least EMR compatible.
    To be honest the whole reason why I've started doing research and trying to find something else was because I hated the surface pro 7. Having to return the SP7 twice due to hardware issues and not enjoying the drawing experience on it even after hours of messing with the settings, which Is also how i found out about EMR, AES, and N-Trig lol, so if a 2 in 1 is at least EMR compatible I'll be happy.

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pro 3 with/Pro 3 or 4 pen - I Hated drawing on it
    Pro 5 with Pro 5 pen - I'm Ok with drawing on it,
    Pro 5 w/Slim Pen - I Enjoy drawing on it.

It vexes me to no end how Microsoft finally got that Ntrig tech to a really good point, and then proceeds to do nothing with it. They should totally have Slim Pen keyboard covers for the regular Pros and Gos, a Slim Pen slot on the Surface Book, or at least an update to the full sized Surface Pen with the new nib assembly. That alone is what makes the pen so much better then the regular Surface Pens. And not gonna deny, I greatly prefer the plastic construction of the Slim pen over cold metal of the Surface Pen. Its like they just gave up promoting the pen usage as soon as the Apple Pencil 2 showed up and out speced the Pro 5 pen in a matter of weeks.

JoeS and Soulular like this.