Need Help Customizing ThinkPad X41

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Barry J. Doyle, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benmos

benmos Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm planning on purchasing a ThinkPad X41, at least, that is, unless some of you tell me to stop right now. But anyway, I'm having trouble customizing it on the IBM/Lenovo website. I had a few questions/issues I wanted help with before I bought it, and if those who have purchased one through this site before could chime in too, that'd be great.

Ok, so first off- there are two options on the site- one for a standard model and one for a customizable model. The standard one curiously has a 60 GB hard drive, while the customizable one only gives you the choice of a 40 GB hard drive. Is it worth it to go with the standard one just for the benefit of the larger hard drive, or is 40 enough, or is there a way to call up the IBM/Lenovo people and customize it with this option?

Secondly, I don't get this special offer part at all (when you start customizing). If you choose the discounted 1GB RAM, it adds 249 dollars to your order, but then you still have 512 MB listed under the "total memory" category, and 249 dollars is a heck lot more than the 1 GB price listed there. I'm just confused about the two different memory-adding sections, one being the special offers and one the total memory. They don't seem to work together- so how do I choose my memory (I want 1 GB total by the way).

Alright, moving down to "Pointing device", I assume the base model comes with a free pen, am I correct? Or do I have to choose the "ThinkPad X41 Tablet Digitizer Pen" because one does not come standard? That'd be weird, but it should say "extra pen" here.

And I'm assuming under additional power accessories I should order the discounted 8 cell li-ion battery with system purchase, given the talk I hear about how long-lasting a battery it is. It's worth the $135, right?

And the tablet sleeve (discounted with system purchase) seems like a good buy, right?

And is it just me, or does the standard, uncustomizable model seem like a really good deal- 60 GB hard drive, tablet sleeve, and Microsoft One Note- that's pretty good. Is One Note worth getting, btw? And should I want to customize this just in order to get more RAM- 1 GB, or is 512MB enough? And the larger battery too. Or is calling up Lenovo seem like the best option?

Anything else I'm missing? Alright, that's enough questions for now.
    Thanks a lot for anyone's help.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here are some ideas:

1. We would never stop you from ordering the X41 Tablet - it rocks.

2. Go with the 60GB if you have any doubts about your storage space requirements. The X41 has a proprietary drive that is complicated to replace.

3. Regarding your other questions with customizing the X41 - I would order it by phone. You will benefit in two ways. One, the agent can clarify the additions and costs. Two, you can ask for a $50-$100 discount from the total as the agents are able to do that!

The number is: 1-866-96-THINK

3. harijono

harijono Pen Pal - Newbie

Iam experiencing a sloe performance on X41T, Lenovo's web site asked to set to low on Active Protection and setting on Virtual Keyboard, any other setting I can make to make it better performance?

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

How much RAM do you have in your configuration? You should have at least 512MB to maintain good performance. Also if you are using certain antivirus and spyware titles they can really cause a performnce lag on your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.