need advice on what tablet to buy..please help

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by manikmaniacme, May 29, 2006.

1. manikmaniacme

manikmaniacme Pen Pal - Newbie

hi
    im in 11th grade right now...and i plan to buy the lenovo thinkpad x41 tablet...hoever i am having some doubts
    firstly wil this tablet be outdated in two years..as that ways ill buy the latest one after two years only..when i actually need it
    also, is this tablet worth the pain of actually buying an extra dock for the optical drives and the USB ports?.....or is there a better one out there
    PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!!

2. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey there man ;)

Yes, the x41 is a great tablet. There's no denying that. But I'd tell you to wait instead. How many of your teachers would let you use a tablet right now in class? If it's like my old HS, not many. I'd just get one when you're about to leave for school. You'll get so much more bang for your buck.

3. manikmaniacme

hey tnx....but its imperative for me to buy a new llaptop neways..so i was tinkin of goin for d best and d latest there is out there..my onli fear is....i hope i wont have to change it in just two years..because i dont want to be the one with the most outdated tablet..when practically evryone's using the new ones...
    NEED ADVICE PLEASE

4. BrianFL426

BrianFL426 Pen Pal - Newbie

get a 299$ dell right now, then in 1 year, for college, get those new super- core duo-64 bit + dedicated 512 vid tablet pcs...

5. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

If you're concerned about longevity, then I'd stay away from the Thinkpad X41. It's a fantastic tablet and one of it's greatest benefits is the fact that it weighs less than 4 lbs, but it is an ultra low voltage 1.5/1.6 ghz processor (core solo I might add...) and at this point you have notebook and tablet pc makers releasing the new dual core 64 bit processors. (Acer has just announced for it's new Ferrari laptop line a notebook built with the new AMD Turion X2 processor which in fact, is both core-duo and 64 bit, so I'd imagine Tablet PC's won't be too far away.

You will always hear "wait for the new... (insert new technology here)" when thinking about buying a new Tablet PC or notebook. It's the nature of the industry. You buy something that's top of the line and there's always something better coming out not a month away, so all you can do is pick a point in time and buy the notebook.

I had a tablet pc which didn't have did not have an internal DVD/CD drive built in, which I didn't think at the time would bother me too much, but after using it for over a month, not having one drove me nuts. If you ever plan on watching DVD's or burning data or anything else you might do with the drive, definitely look for one included.

Toshiba already has their Portege M400 tablets available, which are light, core-duo processors, include optical drives and are all around great tablets.

Fujitsu (as you can see on the news page) is coming out with a Tablet that has similar specs to the M400, as well as Gateway.

There's tons available or coming out soon. Check out the top 10 viewed Tablets on the main page as well.

6. manikmaniacme

so bottom line...i want smtin dat wont get outdated in d next 5 yrs...it shud hv optical drives and gr8 speed posible..and shouldnt b uncomfortably heavy...which one wud u say i should go for...
    PLEASE HELP ME OUT...BEFORE MY DAD CHANGES HIS MIND ABOUT PAYING FOR THE TABLET PC