Need advice on notes software

Discussion in 'Software' started by adretzios, Sep 18, 2009.

?

Do you use OneNote 2007?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hipp0

Hipp0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I have thinkpad x61, running Vista Business and Office 2007 Ultimate.
    I use OneNote 2007 to write ALL of my lectures (physics), which involve graphs, diagrams, text... etc. And I noticed that OneNote lacks a few EXTREMELY important features that I expected as standard, but it seems Microsoft either wants more money or time to come up with something decent.
    It seems I wasted money on Office Ultimate, which doesn't even do simple things.
    Help me to find a program that is an enriched alternative (free or retail doesn't matter) that does this:
    -has similar to OneNote layout with Notebooks, Sections and Pages
    -allows writing with pen and handwriting recognition.
    -has drawing tools, more than OneNote, more lines, arches, shapes, and options to format those shaped: e.g. dashed/dotted lines, filled with colour shapes... etc (I expected this as standard from OneNote, but NO, it ain't doing it)
    -Drawing line automatic smoothening, so if I draw a graph, I want to adjust the sensitivity, so hand shake is reduced.
    -I want to be able to format text, e.g. line spacing
    -Print grid (lines) of the page. If I draw a graph and print it off there NO grid lines , omg, why did they make them at all.
    -And all other functionalities of one note, inserting video/audio, documents, vector graphics...

Any suggestions? Thank you

2. kapblp

kapblp Scribbler - Standard Member

I voted yes because I've been using it. But I use it on 4 different computers and it is very hard to sync. I've tried putting the files on my Sharepoint space but I only have 200 mb and my files are about 230 mb. I tried Mesh and Foldershare but it kills the files occasionally. Doing direct sync via something like synctoy is not possible on 1 of the 4 since it is in a different location. So, I'm going to go with inkseine and sync it using mesh. If I don't like it I will try journal. I've already tried Evernote and their inking support is limited and you cannot do ink and other things on the same note.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I voted no.
    I used it the last two semesters. It was a great experience, but it also made a lot of problems and offered too less features.
    Because I don't need writing recognition and don't record audio I currently use Bluebeam PDF Revu to take all my notes. It's a bit difficult, because it wasn't designed for this, stresses the CPU a bit more than ON and I have to use some tricks to keep the program fluid, but it works great. It uses the standard PDF format, which can be read by everyone, all my scripts and books are saved as PDF files, so it's easy to work with them in PDF Revu together with my notes, it has tons of tools, and you can create your own symbols. It supports polygons, etc.
    I use normal windows folders for each class, in each folder is one main PDF document with my notes and some other files like exercises, script, ... In the main PDF I use bookmarks to keep an organization in the PDF. Each new day I assign the first new page a bookmark entry with the date, and if a new chapter begins then I assign a second bookmark to the page where the new chapter starts.
    Works great so far.
    Not optimal, but much better for me, than ON.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why don't you put your ON files on a thumb drive and then carry it between the 4 systems?

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I sync my files with Groove, although people say using Onenote's built-in synchronization works better.

6. Hipp0

Hipp0 Pen Pal - Newbie

So what you are all saying there is nothing out there that is designed to be an alternative to Microsoft OneNote?
    Are there any addons to OneNote that enhance it? Or is Microsoft planning to release a new version in future? :confused:
    Thanks

7. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

There's nothing that's like Onenote, but better. I wish there was. On another tablet there's a guy on the Microsoft Onenote team that's been gathering information from forum members about changes to make in future versions, so yes, Microsoft is planning to release a new version in the future.

8. Hipp0

Hipp0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought Bluebeam PDF Revu and it's soo much better for someone who studies sciences and makes a lot of diagrams. It very easy to use and has a lot more features drawing features than OneNote. And PDF format is very convenient. +PDF extra security, if you want to protect sensitive information or research with password, very easy to do.
    Although OneNote is easier to use and organie notes.

9. Cruton502

Cruton502 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is my two cents to help you with your predicatment.

I use onenote for medical school and I have become a HUGE fan of the screen clipping tool. If I find a good diagram on the internet somewhere that is better than the one provided in the lecture notes, then I grab it using the screen clipping tool and insert it into the notes. If you have time, could you create your graphs and diagrams in more powerful programs and then use the screen clipping tool to import them into onenote. I don't know of any program that can meet your wants/needs.

Hope that helps!

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

also consider PDF Annotator as an alternative to Bluebeam PDF, and both have educational pricing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.