Need advice on buying an affordable tablet PC with stlyus

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by tstephane93@yahoo.com, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tstephane93@yahoo.com

tstephane93@yahoo.com Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I just received my Q550 this afternoon. It has solid physical design and looks neat. Not too heavy, easy to hold. I didn’t play much with it yet but I like it so far. I’ll post the testing results and my thoughts latter.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cool. Another pen-based tablet. I didn't know Fujitsu made one. Add that to Asus, Samsung and Lenovo.

It'll be interesting to hear your experiences.

3. tstephane93@yahoo.com

and Kupa X11 too. But no one seems to know much about them, that is why I went with Q550. X11's 10 hours battery life is temping tho. I think you can also add dell to the list as well.

4. tstephane93@yahoo.com

I have had Fujitsu Q550 for over a week now and this is my experience:

+ Excellent build, I won't call it a looking tablet, maybe it is personal taste but it is definitely a sturdy device and made of quality material. That is always a big plus in my book. It is not heavy at all with 4 cell battery.

+ Battery Life: It seems to be good. I get 5 hours-ish with my typical for the 4 cell battery, removable is nice but I haven't need it so far

+ Beautiful screen, enough said. Matte is a nice touch. Good for watching when there is a lot of glare. Writing on it is pretty nice.

+ Good pen, writes smooth and accurate. Good stuff. There is a caveat those, pen is only great when the system is not lagging. I am going to get on that soon

- Slow and unsteady performance. I know coming in that Q550 is no speedster. I am familiar with Atom lines of CPU and knows what to expect. The worst part about the Q550 system speed is that it can go from ok to extremely slow performing exactly the same task. Base on the observations and past system building experience, I believe the uneven system speed is a heat related issue. The reason being, I notice the system slows down significantly more once the Q550 warms up. I understand Q550's Z670 cpu is touted as fan-less system solution but Z670 is not quite there yet. The back of Q550, while nice to touch, is not very good at removing the heat from the tablet.

- Wi-Fi reception is subpar. I think my smartphone good old trust Nexus One has better Wifi reception to Q550. While this is not a deal breaker for me, I am puzzled by it since there is more space in tablet to put better antenna in it.

Here is my dilemma, do I keep it or should I return it for something else? What do you think guys? I think Q550 would be fine if it won't for the slow (and uneven) system performance, which bogs down the use experience to point of unusable sometimes.

5. tstephane93@yahoo.com

No comments? Though Q550 is one of the few tablets running windows system and I don’t have a lot of choices, I decided to return it anyway. The lagging performance kept annoying me and weak Wi-Fi reception is subpar. I’ll keep looking for another device. If there are any other nice alternatives for Q550, please let me know. Thanks.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would get the Samsung Series 7 Slate if indeed they have fixed the screen cover glue problem. 2lbs, Core i5 muscle, 11.6", just under $1000 if you buy from Microsoft store.

7. tymoore122

tymoore122 Going mobile!

I have the Q550 and now the S7 too. Key to the 550 is proper setup w/ Win 7 so it works well, and When tuned it does very well. I just picked up the S7 2 days ago and the screen along with the others I inspected so far are good. The S7 is a real screamer and 128GB @ 950 bucks is a great price.
    Cheers, Ty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.