Need a "to-go" machine for work/school/trips

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by xXIDraceIXx, Jun 24, 2013.

1. xXIDraceIXx

xXIDraceIXx Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?

1000$, of course if something proves to be well worth money, going over is a likable possibility.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

I would consider it, but in most cases I would decide not to.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Mostly a notebook convertible. I guess a tablet with a keyboard dock would work too, but I'd rather the keyboard be attached. If possible I'd like to avoid the flip ones, feeling the keyboard on the backside doesn't appeal me, or course it's possible that other features might make me overlook that.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

8 and above? It's not really a concern for me.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

I do, but in this case it won't affect my choice, I'm having a hard time finding what I need.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Not much, anything above 3-4 hours will do.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

School : Word processing, programming, research, art.
    Work: Engineering sketches, presentable form factor to show off ideas to coworkers, art
    Leasure: Art, small 2D games

I'm planning to make this my all-time "to-go" machine.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

My programs require windows, I'm also thinking of dualbooting Ubuntu for school.

On a side note, if a machine offers being sold with no OS, I will consider making linux the primary OS to save a bit of money.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Open Office (everything), Autocad, Paint tool SAI, Eclipse (subject to change, i don't like it much)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Various, miscellaneous, non-demanding games. The most demanding would be osu!.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Nope

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

720p +

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes but vary rarely, so a matte screen isn't necessary

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I absolutely require a Wacom pen with pressure levels, and the screen to have an active digitizer. This is the biggest priority.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I can live with anything if the other criterias are satisfied. But i guess ram would be needed since a fair amount of multimedia work will be done on it.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

I don't mind needing an adapter to plug my USB key in.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

not really

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Well, from videos I've seen, the atom processors seem to have lag in wacom digitizer input.

I heard bad things about thinkpad's digitizer, things like the input always being uncalibrated by a couple milimeters no mater what.

So just to make sure that the device has sandy bridge/ivy bridge and a quality digitizer.
    Of course, if you feel the atom processor isn't cause of the so called lag, feel free to me otherwise.

2. TheNeck

TheNeck Pen Pal - Newbie

I was thinking perhaps the Samsung ATIV 700T for your needs, the only problems i see are dual booting with ubuntu and wacom pen with pressure levels. I have no experience dual booting with ubuntu, so i am not sure if it is possible on the 700T. Also im not sure if the 700T has pressure levels.

3. xXIDraceIXx

xXIDraceIXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed what you say is true. although I am confident and being able to whip something in Linux, i goes without saying that i do not expect to do much art in the linux environment.

Other than that, the 700t seems to have everything i need. Except the detachable keyboard seems rather unconvenient for a machine being used primarely as laptop.

4. jgehrig

jgehrig Pen Pal - Newbie

The 700T has a wacom digitizer, so its got pressure levels (1024 if I remember)...

Linux works on the machine but is serious headache on that slate. It seems it doesn't boot from USB?
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162192

There's a video on YouTube of someone running Ubuntu on theirs though...

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fujitsu T732 or T902.

6. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Agree that Atom is insufficient in a primary machine, don't even consider Atom tablet PCs.

Thinkpad digitizers are not any better or worse than any other Wacom digitizer; a Wacom digitizer is a Wacom digitizer. All Wacom digitizers suffer from reduced edge accuracy, it's just a limitation of the technology approach.

For art, double-check pressure sensitivity in specific programs on specific models; different art programs use different pen input drivers, and not all drivers are available on all machines.

Comparable to the T732 and the T902 (as in, fixed keyboard, convertible form factor) are the Thinkpad X230t and the HP Elitebook 2760p. Both carry Wacom digitizers.

Comparable to the Samsung 700T (as in, detachable keyboard, hybrid form factor) are the Thinkpad Helix, the Microsoft Surface Pro and the Toshiba Portege Z10t. All carry Wacom digitizers.

All hybrid tablet PCs suffer from limited tilt angles for the screen relative to the keyboard. The Helix probably has the highest quality keyboard and Thinkpad in general has a good track record in terms of successful Linux installation (however, the Helix hardware is a bit innovative, so not sure if you'll run into extra problems because of that). The Microsoft Surface Pro offers the most portable keyboard solution by far.

The Fujitsu T902 and Thinkpad X230t carry M-series processors, higher voltage than the others which carry only U-series processors. You may notice a difference in some of your programs. The Helix has extra fans in the dock which allow it to not throttle when docked.

My experience is that the Surface Pro runs Eclipse flawlessly (but for stats programming, not Java/C++ development). I have no experience with art programs.

7. jgehrig

jgehrig Pen Pal - Newbie

Looks like my requirements for a tablet were pretty similar to yours...

I ended up with a T732, you can find them new from ebay for less than $1000 w/ warranty.
    There should be an identical laptop still available:
    Core i5 CPU, DVD Drive, Wacom Digitizer, Modular Secondary Battery, Win7 Pro, sub 4lbs

I plan on running Linux on the machine exclusively. There aren't many reviews of the device, so if you want any info I might be able to help.

It should show up by the end of this week.

8. meow9th

meow9th Scribbler - Standard Member

Exciting, please post back with your progress, esp Linux installation. =)

9. seaturn

seaturn Scribbler - Standard Member

My daugter used to use dual-booting Lenovo x220t/16gb/256G SSD box for her math clasess (Ubuntu, Maxima etc), sometimes played with drawing Everything worked fine in Ubuntu. You can even tune the digitizer more precisly compared to Windows.
    But lack of good handwriting recognition software was a dealbreaker for her. She switched to Windows.