Need a tablet for study

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ultra99, Apr 3, 2020.

1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've used several tablets in the past, MS Surface Pro 1st gen, Asus Avivo, Thinkpad Tablet 1st gen, Dell Venue 8 and a Fujitsu-Siemens way back in 2009/10.
    I prefer a 10.5-11", 8 is too small and 12 is too big. I have a desktop pc and a laptop. I need a tablet to take my notes on handwritten. I tried my friend's MediaPad(?) 10" tablet, wasn't impressed with UI and pen.

The FS was a good size, but way too slow for OneNote and pdfs. Surface was a good size too.
    Now, a Surface is way too expensive, so as an iPad. Don't know, should I just fork for a 2020 iPad Pro 11" to solve all this?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? around $1000 Canadian

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? i'm open

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? 10.5-11"
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? none

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 3+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Notetaking

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I primarily use OneNote, but I'm open

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. n/a

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? n/a

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? n/a

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance n/a

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    pen is a must

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? n/a

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? n/a

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? n/a

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?n/a

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hi there, what kind of studying will you be doing? Just listening to lectures / reading books and taking notes? Or tech work including CAD or simulation etc? Any extensive typing involved, as in "do you need a keyboard, or is an on-screen keyboard enough?"

3. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi. No CAD or simulation. Mostly listening to lectures, taking notes, annotating papers/slides. I'll always have a laptop and/or pc so most typing will be done on those.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well in that case, an 11" iPad Pro with pencil might do just fine. Check Apple's refurbished store if they have one in Canada. Why do you say a Surface is too expensive? SP7 "starts from CAD $800".

Anybody else want to chime in? Seems like for up to CAD$1000 there will be tons of options.

5. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Galaxy Tab S6, or the S6 Lite coming out any day now.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

OneNote on Android is painful...much better on iOS or Windows. iPad Pro 2018 or even a Surface Go or Pro X, rumor is a Go 2 is on the horizon...

JoeS likes this.