Need a Tablet for Classroom Use

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Benjamin Chin, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MathTeacher

MathTeacher Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello -
    1. What is your budget? under $2500

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    not sure what UMPC means, I have been using a Toshba tecra convertible and it works for me. It is a bit heavy for my taste but not prohibitively so.

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Mainstream

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    no preference

6. How many hours battery life do you require?

2 hours minimum

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    Mostly for lecture/demo in the classroom- projecting notes, running software like Mathematica and Geometers Sketchpad, internet java apps. Also using Adobe Pro and Photoshop....

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    I have been using Windows XP very happily and am concerned that some of my software like Geometer's SketchPad wont run with vista...

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    see question 7

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    not really

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    no preference,

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    no preference

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    indoor/outdoor

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?

I have a gig on my current tablet

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    I need a CD/DVD rom player with CD burner

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?
    yes

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I need CD ROM writing ability and several USB Ports.

I am using a docking station at work and not sure what the advantage is...

I also need Bluetooth options as the projecting system in my classroom is about to go wireless

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my tablet when it is up and running! My only frustration has been its tendancy to freeze up on a regular basis ( several times a day since I first began to use it) I suspect that it is a problem with this particular computer not toshiba tecra's in general, but I have been unwilling to give up my tablet to the tech department for the length of time it would take for them to resolve the issue.

I have been using my school's tablet and am ready to purchase my own. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!

2. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

Reasonable expectation with generous budget.

UMPC. It stands for Ultra Mobile Personal Computer. This category falls between PDA and ultra-portable 12.1" tablet / notebook. UMPC can be thought of as miniturised tablet / notebook with reduced performance, but substantially more powerful than PDA.

I assume that your existing Tecra is your school property. It is a decent product ranked between the high-end Protege and the budget Satellite series. Your school obviously made a reasoned decision to go ahead with the Tecra which is durable and not too expensive. Sensible choice.

It would be a good idea to let your IT department solve the problem. This is alot more cost effective than to buy a tablet on your own just to avoid a problem. The Tecra is already a trustable machine.

However, if you see a real purpose to buy one you may like to consider the Fujitsu T4220; choosing the variant which starts from $ 2,119.00, with indoor / outdoor display.

Click :
    http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=T4220

The Docking Station, otherwise known as Port Replicator, saves you the trouble of having to connect / disconnect various cables like your desktop monitor, desktop keyboard, mouse, Wacom tablet, etc., from your tablet notebook.

By having all those cables attached "permanently" to the Docking Station, all you have to do is simply park / dock your tablet notebook to that Docking Station and you have access to all those hardwares, at once. No need to repeatedly connect / disconnect from all those cables, each time and every time. You have a thoughtful school administration.

(I use a Docking Station for my ThinkPad T61 too.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.