need a secondary tablet for note-taking

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ultra99, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? $300-500 CAD

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Tablet or small 2 in 1.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? thinkpad, but open

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 8 hrs

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Mainly note taking using OneNote.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) OneNote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Don't care.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance N/a

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance Yes, need the pen, Wacom is better.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? N/a

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Misc

I need a 10-11" tablet to take notes on and take it along with my main laptop. I have the Asus VivoTab, but it's an 8", quite small. I bought a thinkpad x220T, it's good, however, too clunky to take around and a bit high off the table to write on confortably.

I've considered the Surface 3, but they're are expensive even used ones. Plus, I'll have to buy keyboard and/or pen separately.

I've considered the Helix 2 with the Pro keyboard, but I'm not sure.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's just going to be for OneNote, look for a Thinkpad Tablet 10 on ebay. I have a thinkpad tablet 2 (slightly smaller, one gen older) that I'm using primarily for OneNote and it's fantastic, but I'd love to have the extra little bit of screen the Thinkpad 10 offers. Bonus - it'll use the same pen as your x220T. Super smooth writing.

3. ultra99

Thanks for the reply. Will that Atom processor be better than the Core M?

4. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope, but the Bay Trail Atom is plenty to keep up with OneNote.

5. ultra99

Ok. It's hard to find a thinkpad 10 on ebay in Canada.....what would be an alternative?
    Helix 2nd gen?

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@ultra99 Is the X220T your main laptop or is that an additional one, since you are writing you want an 10-11" tablet in adddition to your main laptop?

In your price range and with a preference for Wacom (only EMR?) and Thinkpads, the Helix 2 with Pro keyboard is a great choice. The first-gen Helix could be another cheaper option, but that one has a fan, if that bothers you. Those can also fully replace a laptop, since they work just like a regular laptop with the tablet attached to the keyboard dock. You would certainly like it compared to the X220T.

IMHO, the Helix line is certainly high up the list when you are looking for something affordable and the best bang for your buck. The prices for which they go now used is crazy cheap compared to their original retail prices.

For note-taking, the only thing you should consider is the screen size and aspect ratio. 11.6" 16:9 could feel a bit narrow in portrai mode but it is of course much bigger than your current 8" Asus VivoTab.

Here are some size comparison pics, for more you can go to displaywars.com:

11.6" 16:9 (Helix) compared to 8" 16:10 (Vivo Tab):
    [​IMG]

11.6" 16:9 (Helix) compared to 10.8" 3:2 (Surface 3):
    [​IMG]

11.6" 16:9 (Helix) compared to 12.5" 16:10 (X220T):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  7. ultra99

thanks a lot for the information. I'm not too hard pressed on getting a Thinkpad, but I'm open to other suggestions.
    I wanted a tablet as an add-on, but I ended up getting the x22oT because it was cheap. I tried to use it as my main laptop, but I feel I'm better off with a 10-11" tablet +/- keyboard for hand-written notes. The x220T is just too clunky for that.

I'm currently looking at a Helix 2 or Thinkpad Tablet 2 10".

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  8. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

I have used them all. The HP Envy 8 is a great 8". Pen is very good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I second the Thinkpad tablet 10. I have one and it's very good as a secondary device for note taking. Reasonable for mail and surfing too. Gen 1 uses Wacom EMR tech for the pen which is better, and is what the x220t uses. The gen2 has a slightly better CPU, but uses AES tech. It's adequate, but clearly not as good the EMR pens, for sure.

I've had the TT2 for a few years too. It's also good but honestly rather underpowered. Good enough for mobile one note taking for sure though- but almost nothing else. It was my daily hand held note taker for work for years though. It's much cheaper on ebay. 100-150$ US.

10. ultra99

Thanks all. I've settled on the Helix 2. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.