Need a light tablet PC or convertible!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rkuo, Jan 26, 2006.

1. darkhorse

darkhorse Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, I have been lemming a tablet PC for a while now. Since my Averatech laptop is starting to self-destruct, figure I might take the leap of faith & get a tablet or convertible next time. Here are some things I'm looking for:

- light (I've gotten used to my current 4.2 lb-er, so I'm not looking to go heavier!)
    - stylish/thin & not too big (I'll be using it mainly to take notes or write stories/draw in a variety of places, so it should be very portable.)
    - decent wireless internet
    - doesn't get too hot during use (had enough of that w/ the Averatech!)

Any recs??

Thanks in advance!

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

There are several slate tablets which will fit the under 4 lb weight restriction and many have good battery life as well. If you are looking for a convertible in the sub 4 lb category I believe there is only the Thinkpad X41, the HP TC1100, and the Fujitsu P1510. None of these machines have built in optical drives. The X41 is a great machine, however HD space tops out at 60G and since it uses 1.8" drive that is the largest available period. The P1510 is very small and light, but has a small screen and the screen is touch sensitive. This may be an asset by allowing you to use your finger, but could also make writing uncomfortable as you would have to keep your wrist raised above the writing surface. Further, the largest drive you can get from Fujitsu is 30G, however I really don't know if you could upgrade to a larger drive since I haven't researched what is inside. The TC1100 has a very innovative design with a detachable keyboard giving both slate and convertible functionality. However it appears that HP will be discontinuing the model.

If you're willing to go to the 4-5 lb category then that opens you up to the HP TC4200 and the Fujitsu T4020. Both are excellent machines, the T4020 does have a built in optical drive, but I think the HP has the edge in battery life. I personally own the TC4200 and couldn't be more pleased. Reviews of the machines are available here and other sites.

With regard to the heat most will produce some heat but not hot like the Averatec (many older Averatec's used AMD processors which run hot). Most are fairly thin with the slates having an obvious advantage.

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I think the big question is need for optical drive. If it's not needed, you can get a smaller and lighter machine, I like the X41 and TC4200.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the ibm I would say is best if you don't need an optical and want light and sturdy convertible. I hear IBM is great in durability.

5. rkuo

rkuo Pen Pal - Newbie

If you really want light, then the Thinkpad X41 is your only option. It's a pretty good option, but you lose a higher resolution screen, you don't get a touchpad, and you have no internal cd-rom/modular bay. It's also kind of expensive.

Otherwise, I wouldn't buy any tablet right now with the Toshiba M400 around the corner. Most tablet lines are due for a refresh and the M400 will probably be worth the wait. If you want to get into the tablet world relatively cheap, I'd suggest buying an M200 off eBay...that's what I did. However, having used the M200 for a while, I'm pleased enough that I may upgrade to the M400 when it releases.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

rkuo, I thought your handle looked familiar I just couldn't place it until I checked out your site. Let me take this opportunity to say "Beyond TV Rocks!" I have had this thing running since just after you released 3.0 and it has totally changed the way I watch TV.

Members of this forum have heard me wax on about watching recorded TV on my LT. This is the guy who makes it possible. Thanks and glad to see your part of the tablet fold!

7. poetdante

what are you talking about

8. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

9. Daring

Daring Moderator

It's like a TiVo only...better (and less expensive to boot). It does require that you have a PC that you can leave on to record, but with the price of PCs that really isn't a problem. I can record a show, convert it to DivX and watch it on my tablet. There are alternatives, but this one has been rock solid reliable. I prefer it over the media center pc, especially when you factor in cost.

10. poetdante

ah, I see. and because it says my message is to short: ..........!........