Need $200 Tablet with active digitizer for tutoring math

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Cape, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Cape

Cape Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget? $200

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Would use principally at home, so mobility not major

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? US

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Minimal as would use principally at home.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? Email/Web Surfing/Word Processing/Occasional streaming/Math tutoring with stylus

9. Do you have an OS preference? Probably Windows, but if I can do everything I need on chrome, would consider.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Microsoft Office or maybe google docs.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? No

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Not really

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? No

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    Yes

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? 128GB minimum

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? I plan to use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse most of the time.

I'm looking for a budget PC that I will use principally at home connected to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and printer. Usage will mainly include light streaming, emailing, word processing, and general web surfing.

Occasionally I would like to add some hand written math formulas and notes to word documents. As long as the writing resembles the accuracy of writing text with an ink pen on paper, I would be content. I have no intention of using the pc to draw intricate or complex designs of any kind. I previously tried using a Wacom Bamboo tablet, but I could never get the hang of looking at the screen and writing on a separate tablet at the same time.

I also plan to use the device with the active pen during live online tutoring sessions - I have not yet picked out which online program I will use.
    I checked out the list of digitizer hybrids and was surprised there are so many....even for my super low budget. So, I'm hoping you guys will help me refine my choices. So far here's my list, please let me know if I should add anything or any recommendations:

Fujitsu Stylistic Q704
    Fujitsu Lifebook T734
    Fujitsu Lifebook T902
    Fujitsu Lifebook T904
    HP Elitebook 2760
    Lenovo Helix 2
    Dell Inspiron 7000
    Dell Latitude 7275
    Slightly more expensive: Thinkpad Yoga 12 (seem on Craigslist for $250 with no accessories)

Just for perspective as I've used my nieces Surface Pro 3, how do these stack up?

I can get the Elitebook 2760 locally for well under $200 and I'm leaning towards picking one up, but will wait to hear from you experts. thx

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For something new, especially with 3 months return policy. try this thing from Costco for $160. Only has 64 GB storage but you can shove in any size uSD card.

I have tried a similar unit from same company and the pen action was pretty decent!

3. Cape

Cape Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm, interesting device. How is it for general surfing, streaming, and word processing? I probably need more of a full fledged laptop, but am open to alternatives.

4. Shogmaster

Its as good as your usual Atom devices.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

EDIT: I responded (below) to the recommendation if you want a new device with a warranty, etc. Your selection of used devices from Lenovo, HP, Fujitsu, etc, are all fine machines, but for the application you seek I would probably, for a little more $, go with a new device without any of the issues you can run into with an older device, at least 4 generations of technology ago. If you were seeking to do more things with your tablet PC it might be worth looking into a good deal on a used "workhorse," but not for the kind of things you say you are looking to do. Hope this helps.

If you can stretch to $229, the Acer Spin 1 (also at costco) seems to be a far better device and a much safer bet. Some key differences:

1) 11.6" FHD IPS display (vs, 10.1")
    2) Intel Celeron 3350 cpu (vs. weaker Atom)
    4) 4GB RAM (vs. 2GB)
    5) Only 32GB storage (vs. 64GB), but also 128GB or more with SD card
    6) A better, more reliable brand (Acer vs. NuVision)

This appears to be on sale at Costco for a very good price, as it is $309 at Amazon, so I would act quickly if you can. Here is a review from Notebookcheck.net, a good professional review source - the review unit differs only in that it has an HDD.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  6. Shogmaster

Yeah, I saw that Acer. but the CPU is dual core Celeron, which benches even weaker than the Atom in the Nuvision so I was not keen on it.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2895&cmp[]=2774

7. Cape

Cape Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm steering clear of anything with only a 32gb drive. I've got a 32gb Lenovo tablet (Non Digitizer) and the windows 10 files take up close to 25gb! The pc was recently unable to update windows as more space was required. I'm not sure if it is possible to transfer system files to an SD card, but I would not want to anyway. I just think it's dumb for manufacturers to use a 32gb system drive for a Windows system.

What about the older Yoga systems, Yoga 12, 14, S1 - any better than the other?

8. Shogmaster

With older Yogas, you will have to deal with dead batteries by cracking open the case. Yogas are ultrabooks so they don't have user swapping batteries like older laptops.

You will find some first gen 12.5" Yogas without HDD or SSD for around $200~300. So budget another $200 for SSD and new battery.

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I like the HP Elitebook 2760p on your list.

Having owned one, I can attest to their durability, power and usability.

The two drawbacks are that they are an inch thick and weigh several pounds, a far cry from the new clip board designs of modern tablets (which might be an issue when tutoring?), and that the screen is small and low-resolution by today's standards. However, for your budget and for running the kind of software you outline, (and making mathematical notes by hand), it would serve admirably. The Elitebook is an elegant example of an older generation tablet PC, very popular in its day for good reason.

10. Shogmaster

Yeah, 2760p is a porker. I can't believe I use to carry my 2740p WITH the extended battery! 12" and over 7 lbs is pretty ridiculous in hind sight and not worth the "all day" battery life...

thatcomicsguy likes this.