Narrowing down some choices. (Digital Painting)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Rynil, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Rynil

Rynil Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, I posted a couple of months ago and I am now narrowing down some choices. I would basically like some second opinions on the following to make sure that I don't mess up and buy something that wouldn't work for what I need:

Fujitsu t901, t902, t904, t730, t732, t734
    Sony Vaio fit 14A
    Acer Aspire R7-572
    HP EliteBook 2760p
    Microsoft Surface Pro 2 512GB (or 256)
    Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga, ThinkPad Helix, or one of the Best Buy Yogas

I assume that if any of these come with a pen that it's guaranteed that they have a pressure sensitive screen?
    Will an i5 processor be enough or should I go for i7?

Thanks!

1. What is your budget?
    I would prefer not to spend over $800, but may extend it a bit to get something that'll work well and last.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Needs to be PC-based, not apps.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10+

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    at least 6

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet?
    Digital drawing and painting at large resolutions

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    MyPaint and Gimp

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    I have a desktop built for gaming, but so it'd be nice but not a necessity. I wouldn't mind being able to play games on a low setting.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Not necessarily

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    not really

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Mostly indoors

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance/
    Yes. Pressure Sensitivity is a must. Wacom is preferred but willing to budge.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    I would like 8GB of RAM at the least. HDD/SSD size isn't too big of a deal since I can transfer stuff to my external drive or desktop.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    USB for sure! SD cards might be a nice bonus.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

@Rynil I suggest T902. Good machine all around, higher resolution than T732/T734/T901 while not as expensive as T904/T935, will definitely meet your battery life requirement with modular battery (and maybe without it - depends on load). T734 is good as main machine, and not thin-and-light enough to justify features you won't ever need; T732, T901 feel a bit old and will definitely require modular battery to meet runtime requirement. Yoga S1 is another good option; Surface 2 Pro barely meets battery life requirement, but still great. Every other machine you mentioned will not even provide 6 hours on battery, let alone they seem much worse to me.

Rynil likes this.
  3. FiDeLiuS

FiDeLiuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Just my 2 cents against the HP EliteBook 2760p. I had it as a replacement for my Fuji T4410 and despite being newer i can't see any advantage over my T4410.

As you want to work on high res graphics i'd focus quite a bit on screen size and resolution.

Rynil likes this.
  4. Rynil

Rynil Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you for the input!

5. Rynil

Rynil Pen Pal - Newbie

Would anyone recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad X220?

(sorry for the double post)

6. Starlight5

@Rynil X220 tablet will give you best battery life (if you get a slice battery + new 9-cell), and is the cheapest and easiest of the bunch to buy, accessorize, and repair. Compared to X230 tablet, X220 has 7-row traditional keyboard vs 6-row chiclet, no problems with aftermarket batteries, much easier to flash custom BIOS (to support fast memory, non-whitelisted wi-fi and wwan) and slower graphics.

Rynil likes this.
  7. Rynil

Rynil Pen Pal - Newbie

I see that you own one. If you are an artist how do you enjoy drawing on it? How is the pressure sensitivity? And do I need to worry about it not coming with a Wacom digitizer like with some other Lenovo laptops?

8. Starlight5

@Rynil I don't use stylus much, yet - but didn't notice any difference from T734. They both are Wacom EMR with same resolution screens. You need to worry about it not coming with multi-touch (2-point touch, to be exact), i.e. pen input only; all X220 tablets come with Wacom EMR, as well as mSATA/WWAN combo slot and wiring for that matter - unlike Fujitsu who omit those on non-WWAN models.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Rynil likes this.