Naked Rocket Stick Integration

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JohnathanKong, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnathanKong

JohnathanKong Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if I can strip a Rogers Rocket Stick and integrate it into the eee slate? When I upgraded my slate I forgot to look for it, and now I'm too lazy to open it up again; it's a PAIN. I was looking at this image from another post:

Inside the Asus EP121 picture by JustDavidR - Photobucket

but I don't see internal USBs, so if there are none, what is the possibility that I can take on the the external USB ports, flip it around and throw the stick into the case?

I'm waiting for more parts for the slate, HDD and wifi, so since I am in there, I'd like to throw in a rocket stick too and I have a 3G system.

2. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

My SSD should arrive in the next couple of days, and then I'll have a look for any extra USB headers on the motherboard. Hold tight until then.

3. JohnathanKong

Great, keep me updated, but from the looks of the images, it looks as if the usbs are under the motherboard, so it might be more trouble than it's worth. It would be just better than trying to squeeze a rocket stick into the external usb ports.

4. tgoode

tgoode Pen Pal - Newbie

It would be useful to include measurements of your rocket stick...

:eek:

that just sounds dirty....

5. JohnathanKong

lol, I don't have the stick yet. I am still debating between the rocket stick and mifi. The great thing about mifi is that it stays in my pocket, but it has to be charged and only has a 4 hour life. After that it's the same as a rocket stick. From what I've seen, it's probably 2x larger than the average usb stick, so it's quite large, but I assume without case it will be flat. I just need a wire to attach to the motherboard so I can take it to the back of the case.

6. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

in that case, you might have more luck finding a half-height mPCIe HSPA card to replace the built-in wireless/Bluetooth card.

7. Raxel

Raxel Scribbler - Standard Member

I think you'd better use mifi as the tablet itself won't last longer than 4hrs.

8. JohnathanKong

I thought about that too, but it sucks that when I get home I have to chartge both devices instead of just the tablet, although, Asus did put a usb charger on the power brick. Hmmmm..... The only downside would be if I got an energizer battery to increase up time, but then again, how often will I use the slate without a power plug near by.

9. JohnathanKong

Went looking around the net, but couldn't find one. I did come across someone adding usb ports to his mPCIe wireless adapter. I might look into that, but what I also realized is that I might be able to do something with the SD card. Now it's a toss up between expandable SD OR 3G...

10. sas11

sas11 Pen Pal - Newbie

do you know a module that has both hspa/hsupa AND wlan/bluetooth ? a tablet without wlan would be pretty useless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.