N-Trig Publishes 64-bit Wintab driver

Discussion in 'Artists' started by surfaceproartist, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Credomo, @balistic, have you tried cranking your stabilization way up? The highest bar in Manga Studio/Clip Studio Paint defaults to a value of 15, but you can go all the way to 100. I usually work with it set to 90 for inking. It works really well on the Acer.

And I use TabletPC mode with these two programs. The Wintab drivers N-Trig published seem to only work with Photoshop.

2. balistic

balistic wacom jock

Not a Manga studio guy myself. Sketchbook has a smooth mode, but when set high enough to remove the jitter it became impossible to draw small features.

It seems like something N*Trig ought to be able improve on the driver side.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is a screen grab where I attempted to reproduce @Credomo's video in Clip Studio Paint 1.31.

AcerTest.jpg

The straight lines on the inner ring were done with the rubber band tool for comparison with the outer lines, which were done freehand with the 3 px mechanical pencil with stabilization set to 90. The waving in the upper line is the result of my applying lighter pressure. The lower line is straighter because I pressed more deliberately. I traced the Acer typeface with the same brush and stabilization settings.

NOTE: I do tend to work at closer magnification than the zoom level in the video.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I grabbed the Duo 13 and tried to draw a straight line with normal settings in Sketchbook and photoshop and could only do it fast. I couldn't draw a non-janky line slowly to save my life.
    I didn't try MS5 and stability settings.
    Wacom does it too to a much lesser extent, but it happens in a slow sine wave pattern over a larger space. I must admit regardless of what I'm using I tend to draw and paint in quicker strokes and for finer details zoom in a fair bit. I certainly think Wacom is superior for line quality and pressure curve, but Ntrig is workable.

5. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

So Manga Studio 5 and CSP work fine with the Flips? how about Sketchbook pro?

And no Zbrush for now or the new future?

@Stone Seeker, I know you prefer Wacom but is Ntrig comparable when it comes to these apps and draw slowly?

6. stoneseeker

Yep. ArtRage, Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, CSP (MS5), and Fresh Paint all work with Ntrig. No other software has been confirmed to work with Ntrig yet, including Zbrush...

Yeah, if you use Manga Studio especially, Ntrig is pretty good. Honestly if you want a hobby machine for art, Ntrig is fine. I much prefer the "feel" of Wacom, but it's subjective.

7. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep at this point. Art is more of a hobby for me that I want to spend more time doing. So Ntrig with these programs is not significantly inferior...enough for me to compromise for a Surface Pro 2 or a Thinkpad Yoga?

8. stoneseeker

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. You were considering a SP2 or Yoga? Or your hoping to go with something other than a SP2/Yoga? Because those both use Wacom, not Ntrig. What machine with Ntrig are you interested in? It comes down to the machine really, and many of the Ntrig machines are still quite expensive. Surface Pro 2 is still some great bang for your buck performance-price wise. If your looking strictly for a large screen, dedicated GPU with affordable consumer pricing than yeah, Ntrig would be a better pick for you. Acer R7 or Sony Flip 15a... But if those aren't your requirements, then getting a Wacom system (used or new) will often be just as good a purchase.
    What are your options?

9. edo101

edo101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I found the Surface Pro 2 screen size and keyboard functionality not very productive. I am looking for a sub 1500 USD option for a convertible with a digitzer that will work with pressure support for the stuff I use which is sketchbook, MS5, and sometimes photoshop.

I would be fine with wacom but I haven't found a device that an satisfy my 13 to 14 inch needs without being super exepensive and on the heavy 3.5lbs side.

What I meant was if in the programs I asked about, if an ntrig digitizer worked just as well as wacom or if the difference is pronounced enough that I should just stick with a wacom device. I really don't want to settle for a Pro 2 just cause of how awkward it is to use as a laptop and its small screen

10. stoneseeker

Gotcha.
    For me and what I'm used to, (plus for the software I use) N-trig is still a deal breaker. However, for hobbyists without a inclination to either digitizer yet, Ntrig would be fine especially if you intend to use it with Clip Studio Paint or one of the other software listed above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.