N-trig Pen Tracking Difference in Sony Duo, Tap and Flip tablets

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by whazzup, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi all,

Went down to a Sony outlet today, and realised that there is a tracking precision difference between different Sony models. Specifically, the Duo 13 has no issue with tracking down to the pixel level, but the Tap 11's tracking is not as good (similar to video below). This was done using the same active pen.

Can someone with a Flip try something like what I did below (see whether the cursor is static when moving the pen slightly), and report back?

[video=youtube;_Nbi9_QhsLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbi9_QhsLw[/video]

My main issue is that even a basic mouse can provide tracking down to pixel level, better than what's exhibited above. And a digitiser is like a built-in mouse, so I have a problem when I need higher precision / resolution tracking and I cannot change it.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This has been a long time N-trig problem going back to the HP Slate 500. Since the N-tirg pens are battery based, we kind of deduced that this done deliberately as a way to prolong the pens battery life. However it only effects hovering. There is a way of sorts to hack it into what we used to call "High Performance Hovering Mode"....but its not really that usable. If you hold the Pen Button down while hovering, the hovering speed should increase and be just as accurate. But aside from taping the button down, its not exactly comfortable, and since the button is usually programed into doing a function like right clicking, it can cause other problems to arise. This was all with the HP Slate 500....not really sure if this workaround works with the current N-trig hardware...but I wouldn't except an actual solution anytime soon. Any improvement from N-trig usually requires the purchase of a whole new system with a more updated digitizer.

stoneseeker likes this.
  3. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the info! I had the Slate 500 as well, thought the issue went away with the new generation of N-trig stuff when I saw the Duo 13.....sigh.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.