N-trig pen from HTC Flyer with the Q550

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by dceggert, Sep 8, 2011.

1. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Like most people turned off by the $80 price tag on the HTC Flyer pen I did not pick one up until recently. As usual, once I identified that I wanted to try this based on other's favorable remarks, I searched for a deal. I found it on eBay where there was a seller with brand new ones in the box for $50 and free shipping. Still not ready to pull the trigger I waited for several days and just watched the thing wondering if I should get it. Then one day there was a price reduction to $30 and free shipping and I snapped one up.

I wanted a spare pen because the OEM pen from my T580 finally gave up the ghost and died completely. I put the OEM pen from the Q550 into service but now I was down to one pen and wanted another. I figured I would put the OEM pen back into the T580 pen garage and use the Flyer pen on the Q550. So far so good.

So after two whole days of using the Flyer pen I can definitely say this is a highly recommended switch. Find a similar deal on a Flyer pen and buy one. Here are my observations to back up my recommendation:

- the pen slides across the screen smoother. The tip is different and it works better.
    - the pen makes less noise on the screen, including punctuation taps.
    - the cap for the battery compartment is all metal and there does not appear to be any annodizing on the threads.
    - the second button works as an eraser on the Q550 (I have not tried the T580 yet) when inlking in OneNote or ArtRage. It will likely act as an eraser when inking, period, but I have not validated that yet.

I can only hope that Steve S. is correct and that there will be even better pens available from N-trig soon. For now, however, the Flyer pen seems like an 'upgrade' and not just a replacement.

2. HyLander

HyLander Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for posting about that price! I'd been considering upgrading but couldn't justify spending $80 for it. I also found it for $30 on ebay, and it should be here next week.

3. Rigel

Rigel Scribbler - Standard Member

I really wish I had bought mine for $30, the pen does seem much improved.

4. Marauderz

Marauderz Pen Pal - Newbie

well, I also decided to pick up the Flyer pen for my T580, well, it works. can't really tell if it's much smoother or just because there's no wear on the tip ;)

added bonus for me is that the pen still fits in the garage and I have an erase button.

5. Marauderz

Marauderz Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, for comparison purposes, I bought the HTC Flyer pen from our local HTC distributor for USD40 here in Malaysia.

6. HyLander

HyLander Pen Pal - Newbie

I received mine on Tuesday, and I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with it, although now I have to find a different color pen cap to pop on (black just isn't doing it visually for me).

I wanted to mention a minor OneNote caveat: the eraser button does not work if the "Automatically switch between inking, selecting, typing and panning" option is disabled (in OneNote Options -> Advanced). I had disabled this a while back, and was disappointed I couldn't get the eraser to work until I figured it out Friday after a Win8-related reinstall.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought HTC Flyer pen and I have been using it with Q550 for a week. I am super happy with it. With this pen, n-trig is as good as wacom!.

I am now loving my Q550 more..