N-Trig Noise - Would A Rubber Pen Grip Help Silence It?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Tablet360, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tablet360

Tablet360 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello, new forum member here and looking to purchase a Tablet PC. I am quite interested in the HP Slate 500, but concerned about the clicking noise from the pen. From reading other threads in this forum it appears that a screen protector only offers limited noise reduction. For those of you that have a Slate 500, do you think a gel/rubber pen grip/sleeve would offer any noise reduction if slipped over the stylus? Here is a link to some possibilities:

Pencil and Pen Grips

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

P.S. I have no financial interest in the above website, just excited about the Slate 500, but can't get past the issue of pen noise.

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless you're going to do inking, since I don't, I don't even hear it anymore.

3. Tablet360

revmike - My main use for the HP Slate 500 will be note taking in meetings with customers, vendors, and co-workers. Any noise reduction I can manage will make for a more 'polite' meeting.

4. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

As to a gel grip, others have reported little improvement.

The noise appears to stem from the nib hitting the mechanism inside the barrel that triggers a "click". It is most noticeable when using the Tablet Input Panel for printed (i.e. not script) letters. Still, I don,t think it is as noisy or distracting as typing on many laptop keyboards.

As far as taking notes, I would suggest using something like EverNote or OneNote to capture the ink. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to make as much noise (probably because accuracy is not as big an issue). I use EverNote regularly without anyone taking notice - other than those who want to see how it works.

5. Tablet360

DaveP - my apologies for not finding the comments that at gel grip has reported little improvement. I did do a few searches before posting. In any event, I had hoped that maybe a little insulation would 'quiet' the pen. I guess we'll have to wait for a better pen to come along. Thanks for your info.

6. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Hi Tablet360,

I use my HP Slate 500 in meetings every day with multiple customers in meetings without issue. It is quieter than typing and shouldn't be an issue. BTW - These customers are Sr. VPs, CIOs, etc.

HTH,

Jeff

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I find the noise distracting and tend not to use my slate for meetings or taking notes in a professional setting. I only use it when I have a more informal meeting or where I will be using the slate to illustrate something.

Bronsky:cool:

8. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Yeah, I think HP missed the mark with this.

9. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

Not sure what mark they missing. This form factor = N-trig = pen noise, I don't think they are going to redesign the pen.

I use mine in meetings all the time now, haven't had any issues other than what is that questions, normally before a meeting.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I agree! I don't even notice the clickety clack anymore.

I once loaned my T580 to a coworker and he practiced writing in OneNote to see how it worked. He was around the corner of the conference table from me about 3' away. I couldn't even hear the pen over the ventilator noise in the room.