Mystery of the Stylistic Q775 capacitive Windows button?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Aiffe, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got a Stylistic Q775 used. Fresh install, no drivers on it. I spent some time setting it all up so that all the hotkeys would work. And after a lot of fiddling, everything seems to work...except the Windows button, to the point where I'm starting to wonder if it is actually a button.

It's on the bottom bezel, and I've seen other tablets with capacitive buttons there. What really convinced me it had to be a button was the user manual--check it out here on page 9 (13 according to the table of contents?): http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1030163152.pdf

Clearly says it's a button! Furthermore, page 34 (38 on the table of contents) talks about pressing it in conjunction with the power button. Which you could do, if it was a button!

But, not so fast. Another version of the manual for the same model, here, tells a very different story on page 9: https://fccid.io/EJE-WB0090/User-Manual/User-Manual-2469805

The only difference I can find (other than, obviously, the content) between those two manuals is that the former says it's from 2015, and the latter from 2014. The tablet was released in 2015, so the 2014 one should theoretically be less trustworthy?

Another difference is that they show the light sensor being in different spots! My light sensor is in the spot indicated by the 2015 manual, the one that shows a windows key existing.

The 2014 manual does draw a Windows logo in that image (but doesn't say it does anything) but in other illustrations, the Windows logo is missing.

So, without taking the computer I just got apart like a crazy person trying to find out if there's anything in that spot, is there a way to know if there is a capacitive touch button there (and how to activate it) or if Fujitsu just thought about putting one there and got lazy?

2. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: so, I asked someone on YouTube who had this model, who did say it is indeed a button. That's both nice to know I haven't been tilting at windmills this whole time, and infuriating because I have no idea how to make it work. Now that I at least know it is a button I feel like I have a starting point? Hate to think I need to keep installing earlier versions of Windows to find the last version when it worked, but it may in fact be like that.

3. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Haha...I feel it. But moreover, Fujitsu abandoned me. I contacted Fujitsu weeks ago--no reply. Heck, half the time I can't even get their download site to load at all. Several times it's been down for hours. I've just downgraded to 8.1 to try to test it on that, and once again I'm in "refresh a dead page for hours" hell to get the 8.1 drivers because Fujitsu's driver download site only works on alternate Wednesday afternoons or whatever. I didn't know support could actually be this bad.

4. Aiffe

Aiffe Pen Pal - Newbie

Final update: when installing Windows 8.1 didn't fix it either, I lost my patience and opened it up. It's conclusively not a button, there's nothing there. It's clear that some versions of this model did have a button there, from what the guy on YouTube said. Mine just has nothing. I can accept this.

While I was in there, I also tried to figure out where I stand on LTE and NFC. NFC was my go-to after figuring out it wasn't a button--I can just add buttons! I don't have either, but it looks like I'm just a card away from both, like all the other infrastructure for it is there. I even had a SIM slot, with tape over it, and the back cover had NFC stuff stuck to it. Disappointed how little info there was on opening it up and parts compatibility out there--this is a great little tablet, guys! But I'm muddling along.