My Workspace T902/Cintiq Animation station

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by stoneseeker, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey all,

Thought Id post some pics taken over the last year or so of my set-up as an artist using a tabletPC for daily work. When at the desk I sometimes use my old Cintiq 15x in conjunction with the T902 to give myself more room for all the menus and the timeline, etc.

A lot of the time I work on the couch too, especially if Im just painting...

The accessories are a
    -Logitech G13 for shortcuts and macros,
    -HP mini keyboard for occasional layer naming and typing when in tablet mode
    -R.A.T. 3 mouse (not used much while working obviously)
    -Fellowes laptop adjustable riser (modified)

For those unaware, the pen works on both screens as the cintiq is old and uses the same tech as TPCs.

t9021.jpg t9022.jpg t9023.jpg t9024.jpg

I love it. There has been adjustments from my original dual monitor/desktop/cintiq setup, but I would never be able to go back now!

2. dri

dri Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm jealous only because my x220t has gone elsewhere and that Fujitsu has caught my interest. I must admit it has an awesome display despite not being hd. Well it looks hd compared to the 15sx. ;)

I tried the razer nostromo and prefer the keyboard more. You seem pretty productive with this setup.

3. stoneseeker

yeah, the keyboard works well enough, but after 8 hours+ a day the top of my hand and wrist was starting to hurt from the awkward angle of my left hand. Plus having to hold ctrl and then hit another key was more time wasted in an industry that pays more for the more you do.
    THe G13 is nice and ergonomic and I can program multiple keystrokes into single buttons. Plus I found it for dirt cheap on Kijiji! :)

4. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

- A black puss

Nice setup. I have 1 of those G13 which I found for 40 bucks on Amazon. Don't use it much tho. As all playing around with art happens on my S7S and I use the ArtDock there.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The cat lap stand is very innovative, but not very practical...

6. alicepattinson

alicepattinson Scribbler - Standard Member

OMG!!! your cat is sooooooo lovely. Fluffy fluffy i'm gonna die. hahahaha. eeeek :O

7. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool to see your setup stoneseeker!

I have a black cat too - hmm finally something he could be useful for rather than just demanding food all the time. :)

I've been using my T902 a lot more lately due to the heat and only having one room that has AC (the living room). My couch setup isn't quite ideal yet as I'm getting a sore neck pretty quickly looking down at an angle. I need to find a better laptop stand I think - as the one I have doesn't quite reach an ideal angle. Maybe I'll look into a Fellowes one like you have.

8. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice setup, Stoneseeker!

Does the Cintiq 15x offer the same 256 pressure levels?

I'm on the prowl for a Cintiq myself and am considering a used 21UX or new 13HD... I'd just like some more size sometimes to have all the tools out in PS.
    Would the 21UX digitzer work with my x230T by any chance?
    Can't seem to find Australian adapters for the 15x so that is ruled out. Maybe the Yiynova msp19u due to its price...

I'll have to post pics of my animation/digital art setup.

T-ravisty
    -Tragedy-

(I need to change my username to -Tragedy just for continuity on forums, anyone care to point me in the right direction?)

EDIT: What do you think of the Razer Nostromo VS the Logitech G13? I've been looking at the Nostromo for a while after seeing Daarken's blog post.
    Also Sycra's interview of Alex Negrea. The mouse wheel of the Nostromo is selling me a bit more for brush resizing.

Any pro's or con's with the two?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

My neck's rather sensitive, so I get where you're coming from. I use a Flipsteady stand (not an option for the T902, unfortunately) which enables a variety of angles for drawing on, but I would put forward the idea of an actual artist's easel if you can find one/modify one to mount your Tablet PC upon.

Seems there are easels for sitting down as well as the standing ones that come to mind (though I note that there are nonetheless ergonomic merits to working while standing):

[​IMG]

10. stoneseeker

Hey Tragedy, not sure about the 21 UX, ask Shog. Heres an old quote of his:
    "I have posted this before, but just to recap: the Wacom pens compatible with Tablet PCs are from:

- PL500, PL600, Cintiq 15X, 17SX, 18SX, PenPartner, Art Z II, Intous 1 and Sony LX900~920"

although even if it is, it's not officially supported, so you may run into driver conflicts. So far, I haven't thankfully.

The crappy thing with the Yiynova and 13HD is you will need to constantly switch between pens if your using both screeens at the same time. At least with the cintiq 15x, I can just go from one screen to another without a hitch.

I've never used Nostromo, but the G13 is a little more advanced and has more customizeable buttons. 29 to be exact, although they advertise only 23... Also, there are 3 different modes for every program, so you can actually have 29 x 3 button to configure for every program!! In animation this is the best one as I use a LOT of shortcuts. Nostromo would not be enough shortcuts for me for Flash, but it would be plenty for Photoshop digital painting I think. Nostromo is prettier too. G13 has a nice LCD screen that displays everything from your e-mail notifications to your computer temps/usage and the news! Kind of ridiculous and superficial, but I'm sure someone could make good use of it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.