My Website is finally up... Starring the T902!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by stoneseeker, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey stoneseeker, this is awesome! Happy to see that positive things are happening to you.

Indeed, as thatcomicsguy says, that 10 degree angle is nifty! I also like that you can easily bring up and download each picture in your design section.

By the way, I couldn't get your reel to play, it never started, just hung and skipped. Is there any magic necessary to get the JW Player (is that something YOU decided to use or is it my computer that decides which player to use?) to play?

Only because you said you are looking for feedback:

- Maybe you should put some info (i.e., maybe a title, and some text) at the top of the "Home" page. Imagine someone arriving on your website w/o prior knowledge of what it's about: I don't think it's clear from the first page that this is a website about you. And although it looks very cool, I'm not sure it's clear that that name on the computer bezel is that of the artist featured on the site (maybe partly because your last name sounds like something from a Sci Fi novel!)

- I am glad to see you are using the British/Canadian version "travelling" and not the American "traveling"! But I would humbly suggest that the font you used for your bio is not the easiest to read. I don't know what it is... maybe it's because sometimes the space between words is barely visible... for example, on my three computers I can barely see any spaces between the words "career in animation" and between "Canadian animation industry". And maybe you don't need a dash between fat and cat?

- And as a personal preference, I hate any unnecessary extra clicks so I prefer to have the menu items always visible. I know replacing your menu button with a list of menu items could mess up your design, but maybe you could make the menu items appear when you hover over the button (and this way, it would help anyone going to your website, as it's not necessarily obvious that those three pink lines are a menu button).

- Do you plan on adding a "Contact me" section?

Anyway, it's nice to see that things are moving forward for you! Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    stoneseeker likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This didn't sink in until just now.

We're losing a lot of talented people lately.

I have an actress friend who just hopped over to Toronto when the NS film tax credit debacle splashed down. And Faith Erin Hicks is now cartooning from Vancouver.

I'd ask you to stay in touch, but I only ever see you on this board anyway, and it's not like the world isn't lightspeed connected. One place is (almost) as good as another so long as the internet is hooked up.

Oh, man! I just realized. You'll have those mountains to play on!

Sweet.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It was on my SP3 on my 4K external monitor... Windows 10 Pro using Edge.

4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks for all the valuable feedback lblb!
    -So far I have gotten it to play back on all devices and your the only one reporting it to not play. Try again and let me know if it still is not working for you. Maybe too many people were watching it at once when you tried. What browser are you using?

-It's getting a title page intro today which should clearly establish what the site is about. It shows a simple logo and my name with the words Art Director/Animator/Production Designer underneath it. Then it fades to home screen. Hopefully this helps clarify for those stumbling across the site. Though keep in mind most of the people who visit here will be sent by me for the purpose of looking to hire. So they already go with a purpose in mind, and I'm not interested in making my site a viral success or anything. Merely a personal portfolio.

-The text looks more squished in the Bio then I would like, but I still consider it legible. Its the same text used in the menu and everywhere else on the site. It seems stronger when larger, and that font is struggling to read clearly when smaller like that. I'll keep it for now, but I agree finding a better font eventually would be a good idea.

-I like your hover suggestion. I think most people now understand the universal 3 bars = menu icon, but I agree, having it glow when you hover over it with a mouse would be even more clear. I will ask my web guy if he can do that!

-This is a good point. I have my contact info in the downloadable CV. But it may be prudent to add it elsewhere on the site too. I want to avoid adding one more menu item though. Would it be weird to add to the bottom of the Bio?

5. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey stoneseeker,

- Finally got the video to work. I updated all my plugins and that didn't seem to help. But updating Firefox from the quite recent 38.0 to the newest 40.0 made it work. But then I found that Flash Player needs to be activated (I always deactivate that sucker, and it's actually deactivated by default on all computers at my institution). Maybe you'll want a note that Flash is required? In fact, you are not using the normal Flash player on your website, which would tell you that it's needed. Instead, the player on your page either skips and doesn't start (as I saw initially with the older version of Firefox) or, now with everything updated, just shows a warning sign without saying that Flash is necessary. Do you observe the same thing?

- The video looks great! Your work is, as expected, very impressive! I didn't have time to watch it all but do you have credit/copyright info for the song?

- About the menu stuff: I think a lot of people that are into computers associate the three bars with a menu. but I'm not sure I would say most. Just a random thought from a guy meeting daily with professors and even students who are way more computer illiterate than anyone on this site.

- Maybe you could put the contact info below your portrait in the bio section (there is some nice available space there)?

stoneseeker likes this.
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

-Great! and no, I see nothing about flash when I use the player. It just plays no problem. I didnt think he used Flash at all.

-No I didn't, but the song is quite well known and I hacked together my own shortened version out of the original and a remix for the purpose of the video, so it actually is a strange remix of my own using audacity. I have no plans to upload it to vimeo or other sharing sites, since this is mostly a private video not something I want to go viral or anything. The name is "Just my Type" by Saint Motel

-Ok, well currently the menu bars glow when you hover over them. If I see enough people get confused with navigation when they go there I may change it to activate the menu on hover.

-That bio spot is perfect space for it! I think I will! thanks!

7. klachowski

klachowski Pen Pal - Newbie

Your demo reel is gorgeous, and I love the simple yet visually interesting portfolio design. All the short snippets made me want to watch more!

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.