My Thoughts on the 2710p

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by KensingtonPark, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KensingtonPark

KensingtonPark Pen Pal - Newbie

I received the 2710p a week or so ago. Since then, there have been posted some excellent reviews of the device on the two sites that I read. These include:

Since these reviewers have covered most of the key points about the device and even posted pictures and videos, I thought I’d focus only on the things that I thought that were different or that they had not covered.

Ultra-Slim Expansion Bay
    I love this thing! It’s got a very solid feel and has a handle lever release mechanism that is very easy to use. Installed, the machine gives you the sensation of the older Lenovo devices, since it sticks out behind the hinge.

AT&T Broadband Wireless Card
    This device allows me to surf and stay connected on my train ride to work. We have extensive AT&T 3G coverage in our area, so I had the flexibility of choosing between the AT&T device or the Verizon device. I chose the AT&T device because we already had AT&T accounts; both vendors charge you more per month if you don’t already have a phone with them.
    For those of you looking, I’d warn you that the wireless card is self-install. That doesn’t usually bother me, but here are the key pieces of information that I learned during the process. First, the directions for the installation are generic and don’t necessarily apply to the 2710p. In fact, the directions tell you to remove three screws and then the keyboard; on the 2710p, you remove 6 screws and remove the bottom cover – you don’t remove the keyboard. Second, the directions for the installation inform you that you need to connect one of two identical-looking black wires to the WWAN card once you’ve inserted it into the slot and screwed it down. For me, the problem was that they identified the correct wire by referencing colored labels that were supposed to be on the wires (red and blue). Unfortunately, my wires weren’t labeled at all, or the labels had fallen off. Anyway, you only need one of the wires while the other wire is not used. These wires are for the antenna to the WWAN card. I eventually figured it out. The fact that you don’t use both wires taught me something interesting about the AT&T card, which brings me to the third thing. Third, the AT&T card doesn’t use both internal WWAN antennas, while the Verizon card does. That’s the difference between the two cards from an installation standpoint: The Verizon card would use both wires. The fact that the AT&T card used only one of the antennas doesn’t seem to have affected performance. Fourth, extending the WWAN antenna actually helps. It’s not so much that the signal goes from nothing to something, it’s that you seem to get more bars when the antenna is extended.

Screen
    This is a great screen, but it is NOT and outdoor viewable screen. While I love it, I wouldn’t recommend it to someone who wants to regularly use it outdoors.

Keyboard
    The keyboard is great, and the full-size factor is very nice to me. The one thing that’s weird to me is the partial width key in the top row (“1”).

That’s it for now. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Unlogic

Unlogic Scribbler - Standard Member

Great post KensingtonPark!

I'm thinking of replacing my P1510 with a 2710p and your info on the wireless cards is really interesting.

3. o-ron

o-ron Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick question for you:

Is the front face of the lid flush with the glass of the lcd? In other words, is the front of the display one continuous smooth surface, or is there a noticeable raised bezel?

Thanks!

p.s. congrats!

4. KensingtonPark

O-ron:

The front face of the lid is flush. In fact, after about a few millimeters, it falls off. It's never above the surface of the glass.

5. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

Does it really use a Wacom digitizer? Also, does anyone know if the Sprint EVDO WWAN model is available yet? I saw mention of it on a file on HP's site.

6. KensingtonPark

It's definitely a WACOM digitizer. (I'm writing this on it on my train ride.) I don't know anything about the Sprint WWAN card, though.

7. KensingtonPark

Two additional reviews are up on the internet:

Laptop magazine has an interesting review of the 2170p. In it, the reviewer criticizes the lid/screen because he cannot get it to lock into place. Essentially, it bounced as he used the screen in tablet mode. I can say with absolute certainty that this has never happened to me, and I suspect that his screen was defective or he was using the screen incorrectly. He makes two other observations (mediocre microphone, no touchpad) that I think are accurate.

Linda Epstein at TabletPC2.com has another review. I like her reviews because of her consistent approach, which makes them more valuable than many other "expert" sites. As for her "Cons," she's right on with every one of them except the one about DVD codecs (her last one). She's correct that Windows Vista doesn't include the codecs, but when you attach a DVD to the 2710p, it will automatically prompt you to install InterVideo's PowerDVD, which has the codecs you need.

Hope this helps if you're choosing among the Tablet PCs out there. I have to say, that as a user of the first generation Tablet PCs, I can't believe how many just terrific products there are out there. X61, Latitude XT, 2710p, R400--they are all just terrific. It's great to see the Tablet PC evolving in a way that suggests that the platform is sustainable!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. tabrev

tabrev Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey

HP advertised this tablet as having chemically strengthened glass for screen. Does this feel any different than Fujitsu or Lenovo's acrylic/plastic screens?
    Does it give really the senstation of wrting with a pencil on a paper?

Mine was supposed to ship on July 24, but got delayed to August 8, and now delayed again to August 20. who knows when it will ship.

9. Janson

Janson Pen Pal - Newbie

tabrev: I ordered mine on August 6th...ETS is august 14

I should have it by this friday... It's weird how yours was delayed...it's a new product...but we both ordered pre configured models...

Which model did you order?

10. KensingtonPark

Tab Rev

To me, the screen feels better; but I wouldn't say it feels like a pencil on paper. What I like about the glass is that it resists smudging so well. otherwise, I'd say it's similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.