My ThinkPad 10 Tablet Review

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by genghiskhent, Jul 22, 2014.

1. genghiskhent

genghiskhent Pen Pal - Newbie

I've posted my review of the ThinkPad 10 tablet on my blog. Link. I'm not trying to drive traffic to my blog. My blog is non-commercial, mostly viewed by my students. It's just easier to post something this long, with pictures, in a WordPress blog, than in a discussion post here. Questions or comments welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    JaneL, gcoupe and rzp2003 like this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I think this is allowed... at least in ones signature.

3. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Nice review. My comment back is that the direct competition for the TPT10 is the HP Pro Tablet 610 and/or Elitepad 1000. Both of these use the same internal BayTrail guts and screen size. The Pro Tablet 610 has similar ports but no keyboard, cover, or desktop dock. The Elitepad has every accessory you can possibly imagine but it/they are not inexpensive machines and neither are the accessories unless you buy them used for the EP900 (which are the same ones; so far no EP1000 updates to the accessories list). The 128 GB Elitepad is $200+ more than the 128 GB TPT10. Both the 610 and the Elitepad 1000 also use the Atmel v3 digitizer which works very well but it is not Wacom. Battery life, my guess BECAUSE of Wacom because that is the only thing different, is better on the HP twins vs. the TPT10....31 WH battery yielding 12 hours estimated with Atmel and 33 WH hattery yielding 10 hours estimated with the TPT10. With that said, 10 hours away from a plug is still a very sweet spot to be in.

From a value perspective you can get the 128 GB Elitepad 1000 all by itself for US$980 (list is 1,009) if you shop around well. For that you can get a 128 GB TPT10, dock, keyboard, and cover for US$960. Of course, the TPT10 comes with the pen and the Elitepad/Pro Tablet require a seperate $50 purchase. The Pro Tablet 610 does not come with a 128 GB option at this time and it is limited to 64 GB. The 128 GB Surface Pro 3 is US$1,000 + $120 for the keyboard.

rzp2003 likes this.
  4. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

I'm drooling, dude.... Have you found any flaws/bugs so far? How's inking near the edges?

Since it is likely I'll get myself one of those 128/4Gb beasts in a few months, I'll probably start a "user guide" thread to compile tips, tricks and news about the TP10.

5. zeek

zeek Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry, I get an error message when I try to use the link. Could you please report it? Thank you.

6. genghiskhent

genghiskhent Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, site in the middle of a DNS change. I believe I have corrected, though it may take a few hours for the change to propagate through the Internet. Sorry.

7. wmadan

wmadan Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd like to know if you can comment on the thermals of the Thinkpad 10. Does it run cool, warm or hot? Where, if any, are the hot spots?

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

If you want to find the hotspots in a Windows 8.1 tablet that doesn't seem to want to get hot under 'normal' use download and play 'Don't Get Angry' which is a game in the Store like 'bump' or 'Sorry.' The computing power needed makes parts of my Elitepad warm and made my SP3 downright hot in the upper rh corner.

9. rzp2003

rzp2003 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice review. Thanks. Hope more reviews will come soon.

10. Fastestflash

Fastestflash Pen Pal - Newbie

Try "dispicable me minion rush", that $hit will burn you through the screen on SP3 lol.

dceggert likes this.