My tablet PC

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mynd Ara, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mynd Ara

Mynd Ara Deus Ex Macchus

sup. ok, I've been looking around at tablet pc's for a while now, and i really can't decide on what exactly i want/need. One reason for this is i rarely have a chance to have a tablet pc here in my hand that i can actually play with and see if i like it. Circuit city and the like are stocked up on gateways and toshiba's (r25s, nothing more, nothing less), and even then, you can't twist the screen and see how it feels in tablet mode, or hold one in your hand to get a feel for the weight. SO now i'm relying on reviews and opinions to determine if i would be interested or not...

If you're still reading, here's my situation, maybe you guys can help me pick my ideal device.

-I'm an incoming engineering student, so MATLAB or other number heavy programs might be in my agenda, though i honestly doubt it

-I wanna do light gaming, mostly SNES roms

-I'm gonna be a ROTC cadet, and would kinda like to be able to have enough screen real estate to do power points for briefings and presentations

-Heavy Internet user, and would like to download a reasonably sized library of music (i got a good cd collection)

-Lastly I would probably need for the tablet pc to be a laptop first, and tablet second.

-Screen size may be an issue, if need be, I'd settle for a 12.1, but a 14 might do the trick. Asus is talking about a 13.3, i wonder if that's the perfect compromise between portability and screen real-estate?

any suggestions? To dumb it all up, I'm a computer engineering student who needs to take notes, and an ROTC cadet who needs to make good presentations. Oh not to mention tablet function's great for studying from what i've heard. Any suggestions

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Today's current Tablet PC models have enough graphics power (even integrated GPUs) to handle SNES mods. In consideration of the screen, you will find that the larger screens make for a heavier tablet and less battery life. On the other hand, the 12" screen may feel a bit small for you.

The Acer C310 might be a good choice since it falls right in the middle with weight and screen size (14").

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The biggest problem here is choice...
    There are so many different tablets available and for what you want to do most do fall into this category.

As most will do what you ask you are going to have to prioritize your requirements.
    If it's a bigger screen size look at either a HP or a Tosh or even a Gateway or even.... see what I mean.
    Try to pinpoint exactly where you are going but the Acer Barry mentions is a very nice compromise between the 12 & 14 inch varieties.

4. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

HP makes tablet a screen bigger than 12" I didn't know that...

I'm also an incoming engineering student. From the impression I got, most heavy computing tasks will probably be outsourced to a school computer. They wouldn't require you to buy an extra powerful computer to do that yourself. Although you can pretend they do and use that as an excuse to splurge ;)

Ultimately, I think you will be happy with whatever you settle with. Actually, your requirements sound almost exactly like mine! Personally I'm waiting till next year because there are so many changes coming up in the short run, like vista and meron, I don't mind waiting, and I'll be fine with my desktop for a few months.

Also, if you're like me, you will want a high resolution for better screen real estate, unfortunately all the tablets have 1024x786 except for the Toshiba M400 which can be upgradded to 1400x1050, which is admitedly overkill, but you can compromise with an intermediate resolution. The problem with Toshiba is that they have poor support, but if your going into engineering you probably don't need good support. Also RAM upgrades require you to take out the keyboard, a big hassle, but once again, engineering ;)

5. thddragon85

thddragon85 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a techie/student/graphic design oriented person.

I use Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, and I'm thinking about CAD. As a result, I want a tablet that is Wacom Penabled. This narrowed the choice down to Fujitsu t4210, and Toshiba techra m7.

Fujitsu for the light weight and durability, Toshiba for the wide screen and dedicated graphics (for cad and photoshop, not gaming, nes roms dont need a dedicated graphics).

Your other choice if you dont care about using the tablet for drawing is the TC4400 I believe. That one got some pretty good reviews. So did the t4210. As far as I know, the m7 just came out and do not have that many reviews. Its hard to get a hand of, because its a business oriented and not consumer oriented. Just go to the forums and search for the model numbers for your tablet of choice, its pros and cons have been talked about alot, try the hardware section.

6. Mynd Ara

Mynd Ara Deus Ex Macchus

I might've posted under the wrong topic. I'm using a mobile device right now so its hard to tell. if so I'm sorry. Guy said earlier he was gonna chill with his desktop for a year. I'm doin so until the end of the semester until my money gets right again. actually, i've been eyeing that acer c310 and the fujitsu. I'd probably settle for the fujitsu but the native screen resolution + size is a turn off for me. does it have a wxga or sxga alternative?

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Well, it does, but you have to buy it in bulk to get the SXGA+ screen. For consumers, they have the XGA, but for businesses that purchase the T4210 in large quantities will be able to have the SXGA+ option; although most go for the default XGA option anyways.

Who knows, maybe Fujitsu will offer the SXGA+ in a refresh model or later in the year? :)

8. P8RSON

In talking with the European Fujitsu Siemens Corporation (FSC) they have no inclination of changing the resolution for the foreseeable time.
    However, that is not a bad thing I have found, as over time I have come to accept and admire the lower screen resolution of the T4210 over the larger say M400 variety.

So please Mynd Ara, don't be off-put by the smaller real estate...
    I have found it does indeed work and work very nicely at that. :)

9. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

Once agin, 1400x1050 is way too much, but there are intermediate resolutions. 1024x786 isn't good for many applications but you could use 1152×864 which is a nice compromise. I'm so used o 1280 x 1024 I know that 1024x786 is going to bother me, so I need something a tiny bit bigger. It depends on what you are doing of course. Most art applications really really benefit from higher resolutions.

10. P8RSON

The other workaround is to select a bigger size screen and when you need to get to the say the palette in Photoshop you simply scroll over to the right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.