1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

My tablet doesn't turn on anymore :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pokipsy, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

Today my tablet was plugged in and inexplicably turned off without any apparent reason (it was plugged in). All the lights turned off and this is not normal when it is plugged in. Trying to turn it on was completely useless. I removed the battery and inserted it again and now it worked for a while, then again it turned off in the same way as before. This time removing and reinserting the battery was useless. The only thing which make the light turn on for a second is when I insert the battery. What could have been happened?
  2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Overheated?
  3. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

What if it was overheat? Why did it happen? What have I to do? What should have I done in order to prevent overheat?
  4. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member

The most likely culprits are dust build up or a failed fan. If you cannot hear the fan then you may need to replace it. If you do hear it then the problem could be a dirty heat sink. As you use your laptop dust builds up and prevents free airflow out of the laptop. Preventing the problem is relatively simple: you could blow out your laptop every once in a while with a can of compressed air. I'm not sure if this would be helpful at this point for you though. If dust is the problem simply blowing it back into the laptop may temporarily solve the problem, but since there is no place for the dust to go it will probably wind up back where it was originally. You might have to open up your laptop to blow out the heatsink so that the dust doesn't just get moved, but rather removed.
  5. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much. However at this moment my problem is that the tablet doesn't turn on anymore :(
  6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member

what tablet do you have.
    If it was overheating and now does not turn on any longer, then it's possible that you've sent your tablet to heaven.

But maybe it was not overheating. Maybe just your power supply is broken and your battery is empty. You should measure the output voltage of your power supply and the votlage of your battery with a voltmeter, try to run the tablet PC with the AC-Adapter only, with the battery only.
  7. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

I have hp2710p, I think it was probably overheating because when it happened the tablet was plugged and was very hot. I can't believe my tablet is dead just a month after I bought it new :|
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

You should contact HP, whatever the problem is they're likely to resolve it in a timely manner, apparently something failed...it's unfortunate, but it happens.

Hopefully everything will be resolved quickly and you'll be back up & running soon.
  9. leaftye

Out of curiosity, what surface was your tablet on when it first had problems?
  10. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

It was on my bed.
  11. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

its very likely a combination of the insulating effects of the bed and blocked vents could have done you in.
  12. leaftye

I think the tablet should have shut down before it got too hot, but I do think heat caused the failure. My tablet gets very warm when it's plugged in and charging. For this reason, I usually charge my tablet on a laptop cooler (NC2000). Anyway, since I don't believe it should have overheated to failure, I think you should try making a warranty claim.

Until then, test that power adapter if you can. Also, take out the battery, plug it in and try to turn it on.
  13. Pokipsy

Pokipsy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've solved my problem. I called hp support by phone and they gave me instructions about how to make a particular "reset". After the reset the tablet worked again.
  14. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member

And could you explain us how to make this particular reset?
    Maybe some other users have this same issue and they would be really happy to know how to do this.