My Samsung ATIV SmartPC Pro came in. AMA

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by kakeashi, Nov 10, 2012.

1. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

First off, WOWWW its so nice. The 1920x1080 resolution is really really nice on this 11.6 screen.

I know these are like impossible to find out there right now, seems like samsung isn't even shipping it out yet. But I was VERY lucky to find a seller on ebay and he was selling it for 1200$. Its a 700T1C-A04, and I have no idea why its so expensive on the Samsung website. Does not come with a keyboard dock, I'll probably buy that later in the future... NO IDEA how the seller even got this unit. I was very skeptical and thought it might have come over seas, or a fake unit. But its LEGIT, and its not from Korea or anything.

Still transferring over files and setting up everything. But somethings that I will be installing and testing will be

Autodesk Maya (My main program)
    Adobe Photoshop CS6
    SAI
    ZBrush

Some random games... But geez, the screen is beautiful. Everything is so vibrant and sharp

So yeah, ask me anything while i install these things, I'll get back to you with answers.

There seems to be a slot for a micro sim at the top near the microsd card slot.. i actually have NO IDEA if it is or not, theres no label on it but theres a slot. Sadly my tmobile sim is the regular sized one so I can't test it out.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice, grats on the purchase.

I have no doubt the unit will perform all those tasks quite well. Unless theres issues with the processor I think the only mystery or variable will the battery life.

3. Revelations

Revelations Pen Pal - Newbie

Make a video!
    A 30-60 minutes long video where you test everything! :D :D :D
    I'm excited now like it was me who got it.
    Finally someone who got one on his hands!

4. Indepthof

Indepthof Trip Hop Rock

Yay! Awesomeness!! Is bluetooth working on that unit? My Seris 7 Slate had issues with the bluetooth in Windows 8. Just wondering if they finally have a working driver. lol

5. Indepthof

Indepthof Trip Hop Rock

Also, how's the build quality? No screen lift issues on it?

6. nanotube80

nanotube80 Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats!

While you are installing/using these software, is the unit hot? Is the fan noticeable? Will the fan blow hot air out of those vents and onto your hands when you hold it?

7. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

Congrats! I would love to hear (or see) how it does with Painter 12 and Photoshop. In particular I'm curious if the interface in those programs will be too tiny to deal with on the small HD screen. Also general brush responsiveness and how the 4 GB of RAM holds up with painting in a large multi-layer file (like 4000 x 4000 pixels, 3-4 layers).

8. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

Build quality seems quite good, nothing like the microsoft surface though. Don't know what you mean by screen lift issues but if you mean the screen actually lifting,
    then no.

You can actually hear the fan. Its feint but you can definitely hear it. And it blows out warm air, the back of the unit gets a bit warm. Its a bit cold here though, gotta see how it is when I'm actually working.

Actually, nothing blows out of the 4 vents you see in the back, the exhaust vent is the one up at the top.

Working with a 4500x4500 pixel canvas, painting on multiple layers. Brush sizes around 250-500 will start to show some stutter, but its no way laggy, still workable. Still trails almost directly after the pen. At 1000+ then itll actually lag, ONLY if you go really fast though. If just go slow, its still really good. Very happy with the responsiveness thus far. This was in photoshop cs6

Oh and, yes, the interface is tiny.... and i mean tiny. LOL, if you know a way to scale the UI in photoshop up, let me know haha

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. Revelations

Revelations Pen Pal - Newbie

The most important thing is the battery! How is it?

10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I'm curious to hear how Maya will run on HD 4000 with a ULV processor. It's only rated to 1.7gHz, which isn't particularly fast. The GPU is limited by the TDP of the system, which I believe is 17 watt on the ULV's.

I hope it works well for you, but I would not be surprised if Maya doesn't work very well on it. Maybe for small files or simple modeling, but any intense Maya work could be too much for the little S7S.

Looking forward to hearing more of your experiences with this machine. It certainly is sleek looking.