My R1F died today.... :(

Discussion in 'Asus' started by alphaswift, Feb 8, 2008.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My system was working great, humming along...no warnings, no errors, no problem.

This morning I hit the power switch and....nothing. So I say to myself "Self, the batteries must have run down." But wait, it's plugged in.

hmmmmm.....

What I believe to be good batteries ( I have both a main and a modular and I am sure they were charged the night before ) and the system is plugged in. There's absolutely no activity when I hit the power switch.

Power supply fried? Motherboard is NFG? What else could it be or what can I try?

Looks like Asus gets a call on Monday!

2. dbasham

dbasham Pen Pal - Newbie

Just a thought but try pulling all batteries and the power adapter and let it site overnight. Plug everything back in in the morning and see what happens. I had a laptop do something like this before and this hard "reset" fixed the issue.
    --Denny

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are the man!

Your idea sounded dumb as hell as I can't think of a reason why this would work, but it did. Kudos to you ( and a rep point once I figure out how to give one to you )

Thanks!

Now all I have to do is put my upgraded parts back in and I should be good to go.
    Edit: Memory and drive put back in and everything is working again.

4. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice Pen Pal - Newbie

Capacitors "charge up" and maintain a steady flow of power to important circuits on your motherboard. Sometimes these capcitors can become stuck, and refuse to charge or dissapate - when this happens, your MB will not fire up. Leaving your laptop without power for a day allows those capacitors to discharge - it has happened to my thinkpad on more than one occasion - glad to see it all worked out.

~above~

5. Righi

Righi Pen Pal - Newbie

now thats something new

6. dbasham

dbasham Pen Pal - Newbie

Glad to see that this fixed the issue.
    --Denny