My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Okay, now I'm back to confused. I found another route into the support services from hp.com and now see that there are care packs and accidental damage protection. They are separate. I don't want extended software support, installation support, etc. So, I think I need to order the accidental damage protection.

The "buy" page for this doesn't list the slate. Is covered by the notebook ones?

p.s. it doesn't list a 2 year option. There are 1,3,4 years. Strange.

p.p.s The account I used to buy stuff isn't the same as the Passport, so I created one of those. Can't see when Accidental coverage starts. Servers started crashing, for purchase login (when I go to buy) and the Passport login (looking from the general support point of view, I guess). A mess...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try again when they fix the server.

Server Error

2/11/2012 10:10:40 AM

An error has occurred. The error has been logged and the administrator has been notified.

This is most likely a temporary problem. Try going back to the page that caused the error and try again.

4. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, I've just joined the broken power switch club. Used it in church today came home went to turn it on and the switch had given up the ghost. Just got off the phone with HP and will be awaiting the arrival of the box to send it in for repair.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Hope you had the extended warranty.

6. revmike

Nope, I swapped out the ssd drive some months back so that killed my warranty. They gave me a $89.00 price to diagnose the problem, which will go towards the price to fix it.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Sorry to hear that ... hopefully the switch will not be that much. I've basically decided that I will retire the slate from daily work use when the warranty is up in December. I'll be looking to replace it around that time and, hopefully, the W8 landscape will be a bit clearer. Even with the new switch, it still feels flimsy and I would be concerned about using the slate everyday for work without warranty protection. Add to that the fact that I'm getting some screen lifting on the left side and dying pixels and I think I'll be retiring my slate by the end of the year. My company has a 2 year replacement policy anyway. They like us to replace our notebooks every two years.

8. revmike

Since I'm a retired probation officer who has been working partime, I've used mine for employment backgrounds as well as personal, so the cost is all mine. I'm ready for something that is just a little larger, as I have stated before both in screen and ssd size. These 59 year old eyes need just a little help beyond glasses.

9. revmike

My box arrived today and I was not a happy camper. They sent me a box for a laptop, this thing was huge. It took me two more calls to get someone to finally understand that I needed a smaller box for the HP SLATE 500!!. Now instead of my slate being on it's way to repair, it still just sitting here broken. It amazes me that the service people do not know the products that they are suppose to service. Come on HP, Get it together baby.

10. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry Mike ...I can fully understand your frustrations. Have you tried to open the silver plastic sides to see if the
    prong of the external power switch is not grabbing the inside switch?
    I had a similar issue when I replaced the ssd. I just reopened it and carefully put the external power
    switch back in with proper alignment. Just a suggestion..but I have a feeling it is really broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.