My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think that care pack adds accidential coverage onto first year warranty coverage. Worth asking a rep though.

2. Brianflys

Brianflys Pen Pal - Newbie

Called my HP rep and ordered the 2-year CarePack. Asked about the 1-year carepack and he said the start date for all carepacks is the original selling date of the slate. In case you want his contact info:

Jesse Aguilar, Account Manager, 800-277-8988, Jesse.Aguilar@hp.com. Mention my name so I can get the huge kickback! :)

Brian

3. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

They told me that as well. However I asked them not to wipe the data on every piece of paper that shipped with mine to the repair center and it came back tact. I think the folks on the phone have to say that.

4. vtgant

vtgant Pen Pal - Newbie

I just sent mine in to repair the power switch for the second time. At this rate, my switch lasts for about 5 months before it breaks. This will compel me to get the extended warranty while I await the next model.

5. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Am I the first to have the switch break out of warrenty? I did on-line chat to request support. Sagar told me I had to take it to a local authorized HP service center. Then when he tried to tell me where that was, he found the tool for looking that up was broken. While he was trying, I tried online too, and the web page for that has most of the text in a 3 or point font! And it couldn't find anything anyway. So, he's sending a drop box. Afterwards, I realized nothing was said about price or paying for the repair. Anyone have any idea how that's supposed to work? I guess they call me when they get it and take a look. Can anyone fill me in on how payment for repairs works?

Anyway, the switch broke with the unit on, so I was able to do one last backup (my last backup was about 2.5 weeks ago -- I really should get more regular about that).

6. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

My fixed slate is on its way back to me. The support experience has been somewhat mixed, but good where it mattered. First the good, the turn round has been only a single day, and they overnighted both ways. The cost, about $130, wasn't outranges for all the overnight shipping being done.

Then the not so good. Their web tools and presence isn't very good. The online tool to look for an authorized service center was broken. Even the serverice rep couldn't access it. The emails they send have broken links for the tracking numbers (I have to delete "%20" from the beginning of the tracking number to get it to work). Not a big deal, but I'm surprised to see such problems in a company the size and maturity of HP.

7. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Does this failure rate merit a recall, I wonder? HP should at least offer free repair of failed switches when out of warrantee.

8. sharpear

sharpear Pen Pal - Newbie

Just thought I would mention that my Slate 500 had the loose Power button as well. Luckily the warranty ends Mar 30 2012 for my unit when I checked it up, and I am sending it in for repair just in time (cleaning is my main concern though since it was an HP floor demo and has a little dust in the cracks). They even included recovery media, and by purchasing a 1 year extends my warranty, and does not cover over the initial 1 year from the product, which other people have stated.

Below is the link to check warranty status.
    https://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/s...ac.admitted=1328878140718.876444892.492883150

9. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for posting the check warrantee link. I now know that mine is expiring soon (I bought it used).

10. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

My warranty was to expire next month as well, but I ended that when I swapped out the 64gb ssd for a 128gb one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.