My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

The switch broke on mine last week. The shipping box arrived the day after i called... I was notified (via email) when my unit arrived at HP, and a few hours later, I got another email that my unit was finished and being shipped back.

It should be back (in-hand) today or tomorrow. I'm wondering if they just replace the broken units and never even crack them open.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I hope that the tablet landscape is a bit more clear by December, when my 1 year warranty is up. This weak power switch concerns me and would be a big PITA it if broke after the warranty was up. If I'm keeping my tablet much past December, I would want to buy the warranty.

3. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got the unit back! That was really fast!

The switch is working and all my data is in tact!
    Because I had just installed Windows 8 on the unit when the switch broke, it was pretty easy to tell if they fixed it or replaced the unit.

4. Stone

Stone Pen Pal - Newbie

Being bored of switching it on and of with a toothpick I built a switch on my own by using a pice of acrylic glass, a hacksaw and a rasp.
    So if it breaks after the warranty periode end ... there is still a solution which works pretty well ;)

5. noneya456

noneya456 Pen Pal - Newbie

Want to send me one of these custom switches ya made? haha
    A tutorial would be nice. Im getting sick of using a toothpick too and I was gonna give it a go with something custom.

6. pasmith001

pasmith001 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine also broke (during a conversation about outfitting multiple people in my company, no less). I called on a Tuesday. Box arrived on Wednesday. Fixed on Thursday. Back in my hands on Friday. Great turnaround and overall great customer service.

7. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

My switch broke today, and hopefully with the good stories I've read so far, looks like it will be back Monday or even Friday. New impetus to buy more technology as a business customer?

8. jamesb

jamesb Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had two good experiences shipping to the depot to report. Both required openning the unit. I must say the unit is identical to how it originally looked. When my unit arrived the folks at the depot even called - the interesting part was the caller ID came up a Inventec. I read the Touchpad was built by Inventec - I wonder if the Slate came from them too?

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Since i have made up my mind to wait for W8 before upgrading my slate, the switch problem has prompted me to extend the warranty for another year. By the time it runs out next December, I should have my new tablet id'd and ready to buy.;)

10. jamesb

jamesb Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm planning to get an extra year as well. Did you find out the difference between the Computrace and Std 1 year care packs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.