My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

1. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

@ ArtV

I use a Leatherman....Nice choice on the Victorinox though!

2. Stone

Stone Pen Pal - Newbie

Seeing that this post is already quite old I somehow hope that the problem has been solved the one or other way. I'm also a slate user out of US and my power-switch just gave up and broke.
    As it's really just the small plastic piece which can be easily replaced I wonder if anyone of you already managed to find someone who can ship such switches? (Using toothpicks, leathermans and other tools about 20 times a day is quite uncomfortable, ... )

3. MGold

MGold Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same issue and found this thread. Since the HP Slate 500 is under a year old that means all of us have it covered under warranty. I called HP last Wednesday and they mailed the return box to me by Friday.

Due to the hurricane I didn't want to send it in until after the storm passed. Monday morning at 10am I took it to Fed EX and dropped it off. On Tuesday at 6pm I received an email from HP saying that they have fixed the problem and have sent the unit back to me. And today (Wednesday @ 9:30am) I had my Slate back with data in tact. They replaced the entire front cover (not the back) and the power switch feels way tighter than before, snug fit. Hopefully I won't have that problem again.

Now that was fast! If you have issues or problems with your Slate send it back before the warranty runs out! And whatever you do, don't do anything to the device that would make your warranty null and void. The Slate is too expensive to deal with issues or make shift fixes so call HP but be ready to be transferred around the world, seems like they had a hard time finding the right call center to deal with the Slate. I love my Slate and I think I am going to buy the extended service plan.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I couldn't agree with you more. I am probably less thrilled with my slate overall (although I use it every day:rolleyes: ) but still don't see anything that significantly outperforms it in its class (fanless/9-10") it ATM. So, I am not in a hurry to replace it. If nothing catches my attention between now and December, I'll be buying an extended warranty care-pak. HP service has been spot-on so far for me.

5. telecomgeek79

So, are you sayin they replaced your screen to?

My power switch is broken/was broken for awhile. I just dropped "the baby" and now the screen is broken to :( .

Anyone else replace their screen? Cost on repair?

6. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I think somone had it done for $300.00.

7. rgongora

rgongora HP Geek.

I had a problem with the switch recently. When I tried to open the slide with the windows key on it I pulled the Bezel out and it caused the exterior switch slifer to disconnect from the internal switch below it. This caused the same problem you describe of no resistance on the switch. I was able to fix this by lifting the bezel out again and realigning the switch slider onto the switch again and snapping the bezel back in place. You may want to try this on the switch to see if the exterior slide just popped off the internal switch.

Good luck on the screen!

8. Bronsky

With the improvements in the N-Trig inking in the Q550, Motion andexpected in the New Lenovo P1, I would probably forgoe the $300 display repair and put the $$ into a new unit.

9. telecomgeek79

I'll have to take a look at those. The Lenovo Android 3.1 looks interesting. If only it can do all the stuff the slate does ( I hear the response by the OS is faster )

I can't wait till the Lenovo P1 with Windows comes out. Business is business.

Thanks for giving a heads up on alternatives.

10. Stone

Stone Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for your replies. The problem with sending it to HP is the fact that i'm living outside the US. As far as I know they don't ship the slate outside even if you sent it for replacement.
    Is there someone with a different experience?

11. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

The switch broke on mine last week. The shipping box arrived the day after i called... I was notified (via email) when my unit arrived at HP, and a few hours later, I got another email that my unit was finished and being shipped back.

It should be back (in-hand) today or tomorrow. I'm wondering if they just replace the broken units and never even crack them open.

12. Bronsky

I hope that the tablet landscape is a bit more clear by December, when my 1 year warranty is up. This weak power switch concerns me and would be a big PITA it if broke after the warranty was up. If I'm keeping my tablet much past December, I would want to buy the warranty.

13. rockface

rockface Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got the unit back! That was really fast!

The switch is working and all my data is in tact!
    Because I had just installed Windows 8 on the unit when the switch broke, it was pretty easy to tell if they fixed it or replaced the unit.

14. Stone

Stone Pen Pal - Newbie

Being bored of switching it on and of with a toothpick I built a switch on my own by using a pice of acrylic glass, a hacksaw and a rasp.
    So if it breaks after the warranty periode end ... there is still a solution which works pretty well ;)

15. noneya456

noneya456 Pen Pal - Newbie

Want to send me one of these custom switches ya made? haha
    A tutorial would be nice. Im getting sick of using a toothpick too and I was gonna give it a go with something custom.

16. pasmith001

pasmith001 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine also broke (during a conversation about outfitting multiple people in my company, no less). I called on a Tuesday. Box arrived on Wednesday. Fixed on Thursday. Back in my hands on Friday. Great turnaround and overall great customer service.

17. sjaywu

sjaywu Pen Pal - Newbie

My switch broke today, and hopefully with the good stories I've read so far, looks like it will be back Monday or even Friday. New impetus to buy more technology as a business customer?

18. jamesb

jamesb Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had two good experiences shipping to the depot to report. Both required openning the unit. I must say the unit is identical to how it originally looked. When my unit arrived the folks at the depot even called - the interesting part was the caller ID came up a Inventec. I read the Touchpad was built by Inventec - I wonder if the Slate came from them too?

19. Bronsky

Since i have made up my mind to wait for W8 before upgrading my slate, the switch problem has prompted me to extend the warranty for another year. By the time it runs out next December, I should have my new tablet id'd and ready to buy.;)

20. jamesb

jamesb Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm planning to get an extra year as well. Did you find out the difference between the Computrace and Std 1 year care packs?