My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

1. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

We did redesign the button for Slate2 but we haven't tried to put the button into a Slate 500. Let me see if we can check this out. I am in Korea this week, so my responses will be delayed.

Rick

2. Rick

Rick Sr. Manager, Innovation and Experience

A broken power button on the Slate 500 can be replaced with a Slate 2 button. Only the button can be replaced, not the entire trim ring.

Hope this helps

Rick

3. cugel

cugel Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

Currently, my power button is broken. Now i'm located at spain and i'm not able to get my unit fixed by HP Support as HP Slate 500 is not distributed in Spain.

I've been able to make a temporary fix but i would really like to put a new button, do you know if it's possible to obtain the button from HP Spanish support (currently HP Slate 2 is distributed in Spain)

Regards

4. Stone

Stone Pen Pal - Newbie

As some have been asking. I've attached a short description how I built my own Switch for the Slate 500 after the original was broken. It's now lasting for already more than a year and ist still working very well :) Have fun!

Attached Files:

5. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey Rick,
    Can help us by allowing European support to send us button for our slate 500
    It's a pitty to use a Swiss army knife when I want to start the slate
    Thanks.

6. jekain314

jekain314 Pen Pal - Newbie

wow!! after all this time (I'm writing this May 25, 2013) and they havent reengineerred a simple switch. Just got my HP Slate 2 a day ago and switch already broke. As others have stated here, the small exposed slider is intermittently pulled down to start the computer. The slider is pushed up to cause the screen to be in a fixed position and not rotate. You really need both functions for effective use. The small slider has to legs that stick through a plastic bezel. These legs intersect a small tab inside the computer. The legs are about 3mm long and about 1mm wide each. So we are dealing with small stuff here. In my case, the internal tab was pushed up so the screen was locked and the legs came loose from the tab. So the slider didnt engage the intermittent switch to turn on the computer. As other suggested, I pulled off the switch (pried up with an exacto knife but could use a small flathead screwdriver). Then you expose the internal tab -- but you cant see it unless you use a bright pen light. I was able to use a small unbent paperclip to operate the internal tab. You can actually pull-up the plastic bezel about 1cm around the switch so you can see the internal switch better. But then you have to reseat the bezel or the computer looks pretty stupid. Obviously operating the computer ion this manner is totally unworkable in any workplace/desktop environment. But at least you can get the computer started ...

Can someone provide pointers as to how to get HP to fix this. I see notes on the great support for the repair --- but how do I start this process?

-- Jim

7. Flaco05

Flaco05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Call HP support and they will have a UPS box shipped to you so that you can ship the Slate back. They turn it around very quickly, and the repair holds up very well, in my experience.

8. antarqui

antarqui Pen Pal - Newbie

:mad:I have a slate 2 and broke the power switch and the little plastic pin on the switch board. I like to buy the power board will the power board on the slate 500 is compatible with the slate 2 :(
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    To the person that broke the lcd on his slate send me an email at vicwmoreno@gmail.com I can help you..

9. Boomer

Boomer Pen Pal - Newbie

I am not familiar with 3D printers and don't know their limitations, but this power switch that Stone designed sounds like a job for them?????

Boomer

10. Boomer

Boomer Pen Pal - Newbie

Paper clip works perfect, until you take it out of its folio. I Hope the picture is displayed.
    HP 500 Power Slider.jpg

thierryb likes this.