My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

1. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

Went to wake my Slate up from sleep this morning and the switch does nothing. I can tell the switch is broke because it offer no resistance when sliding down and no click when sliding up. Basically it just slides back and forth.

Never had to send anything in to HP for warrenty service before, any advice?

2. ghost74

Just got off the phone. They told me they have to wipe the HD to fix a mechanical problem with the switch.

That is BS.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Service sure is getting off to a bad start. I hate to bother Rick, but it might be worth an email.

Bronsky:cool:

4. ghost74

Just sent him a note.

Are you aware of a way to wake the unit w/o the power switch?

Maybe some super-secret combination of button presses?

5. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...They told me they have to wipe the HD to fix a mechanical problem with the switch...That is BS...>>

...It suddenly dawned on me; what they're really telling you is that their approach for fixing boards is to swap out the entire motherboard (which probably includes the SSD), and they don't want to take the time to do an xcopy of your SSD to the SSD on the new motherboard.

Yes, it's technically BS, but it's undoubtedly the lowest-cost approach for HP...

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

In the old days (and I'm old enough to remember vacuum tube testers) it might make sense to replace a switch but now you're talking about unsoldering the switch from the MB (without overheating anything else), soldering in a new switch and lining it up by hand, testing to make sure the switch was actually the problem, and testing to make sure the switch fits properly in the chassis. I doubt many manufacturers would go through that.

7. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Back to the original question.

I believe the Slate wakes up momentarily when power falls to critical levels. If you connected the Slate to a LAN using a USB to Ethernet connector, (1) would it register on the LAN during that period and (2) would the LAN be capable of waking the Slate (once you plugged it into a power source)?

8. ghost74

I'm making the assumption that the MB is fine and the little injection molded plastic slider part broke.

9. noneya456

noneya456 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive got two slates here. the power switch really seems to be an issue. one came with a loose switch while the other was nice and snug however its increasingly getting more loose. no doubt this defect may eventually reach everyone. im very careful with it but prolonged use seems like eventually it will fail.
    we need a solution

10. acerbic

acerbic Scribbler - Standard Member

...so maybe if you rip off the slider part completely, you might be able to operate the switch with a toothpick or something.

Disclaimer: poster not to be held responsible if everything goes horribly wrong.

11. Steve S

<<...I'm making the assumption that...the little injection molded plastic slider part broke...>>

...In which case you may be pleasantly surprised when HP returns your Slate...!

<<...maybe if you rip off the slider part completely, you might be able to operate the switch...>>

...I agree; that's a good suggestion...

12. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

Just send the thing in and get it fixed. And when you get it back and reconfigured the way you like, back up your drive.

13. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can say Yes. This happened to me a while back. It was purely the Plastic Portion of things.

After putting it in and out a couple of times, the plastic finally broke completely.

I now use my leatherman "tiny" flat blade screw driver to turn on/un-hibernate the Slate.

It's of course a pain. But hey, if all they are going to do, is put in another plastic piece in, perhaps they can send the plastic "due-hicky" (SP? :) ) and I can put it in.

I originally opened a ticket with HP and was going to send it back. But right now, I am waiting for one more thing to break. Might as well get my "Problems x Time Slate is away from me" ratio a little higher.

Good luck with getting it fixed. If you get them to send you a plastic power switch. PM me, as that would be awesome.

Telecomgeek79

Apple....naah, love One Note to much. :)

14. ghost74

Well, I sent it in via FedEx return service.

Stay Tuned

15. ArtV

ArtV Happy Camper

****. Broken power switch for me too. As I am not in the States, returning for warranty is not an easy option....

16. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe ghost74 can get them to send him a "Spare" one?

Maybe a re-design with Titaniam or a Metal?

17. ghost74

FedEx Man came to the house this morning. No one to sign so hopfully he will come back tomorrow when I'm home.

BTW: I remember a posting a while back that mentioned "loose" power switches. Mine was one of the loose ones, I wonder if its related and only a matter of time before others experiance the same issue.

ArtV was your switch loose from the beginning?

18. ghost74

It appears that they replaced the entire silver bezel. All data is in tact.

I'm good to go. Now where did I put that extended warranty information?

19. Steve S

<<...It appears that they replaced the entire silver bezel...>>

...The switch slider is probably an integral part of that sub-assembly.

The slider itself is probably not available (or, more properly, can't be replaced) as a stand-alone part...

20. ArtV

ArtV Happy Camper

My slider switch was also loose from the start.

The switch is a very flimsy piece of plastic inside, and simply snaps into place with a guide. It certainly looks like a 2c part that could be replaced by snapping a new one in place - not sure why they replaced the entire bezel. There are two very small "legs" on the inside of the slider switch that rest over a lever inside the device. I am now using a plastic "toothpick" from my Victorinox pocketknife to operate the lever/switch - the toothpick slides nicely next to the stylus in the case and travels with me. Not glamorous, but it works.