My power switch just broke!!!

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by ghost74, May 12, 2011.

1. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

Went to wake my Slate up from sleep this morning and the switch does nothing. I can tell the switch is broke because it offer no resistance when sliding down and no click when sliding up. Basically it just slides back and forth.

Never had to send anything in to HP for warrenty service before, any advice?

2. ghost74

Just got off the phone. They told me they have to wipe the HD to fix a mechanical problem with the switch.

That is BS.

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Service sure is getting off to a bad start. I hate to bother Rick, but it might be worth an email.

Bronsky:cool:

4. ghost74

Just sent him a note.

Are you aware of a way to wake the unit w/o the power switch?

Maybe some super-secret combination of button presses?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...They told me they have to wipe the HD to fix a mechanical problem with the switch...That is BS...>>

...It suddenly dawned on me; what they're really telling you is that their approach for fixing boards is to swap out the entire motherboard (which probably includes the SSD), and they don't want to take the time to do an xcopy of your SSD to the SSD on the new motherboard.

Yes, it's technically BS, but it's undoubtedly the lowest-cost approach for HP...

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

In the old days (and I'm old enough to remember vacuum tube testers) it might make sense to replace a switch but now you're talking about unsoldering the switch from the MB (without overheating anything else), soldering in a new switch and lining it up by hand, testing to make sure the switch was actually the problem, and testing to make sure the switch fits properly in the chassis. I doubt many manufacturers would go through that.

7. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Back to the original question.

I believe the Slate wakes up momentarily when power falls to critical levels. If you connected the Slate to a LAN using a USB to Ethernet connector, (1) would it register on the LAN during that period and (2) would the LAN be capable of waking the Slate (once you plugged it into a power source)?

8. ghost74

I'm making the assumption that the MB is fine and the little injection molded plastic slider part broke.

9. noneya456

noneya456 Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive got two slates here. the power switch really seems to be an issue. one came with a loose switch while the other was nice and snug however its increasingly getting more loose. no doubt this defect may eventually reach everyone. im very careful with it but prolonged use seems like eventually it will fail.
    we need a solution

10. acerbic

acerbic Scribbler - Standard Member

...so maybe if you rip off the slider part completely, you might be able to operate the switch with a toothpick or something.

Disclaimer: poster not to be held responsible if everything goes horribly wrong.