My personal wishlist for the next tx series tablet

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by atom, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dojomann

Dojomann Convertible Converter

I'm sure many are thinking about crap like this, and I hope people aren't too annoyed by this thread, but here goes:

These are some ideas on how to improve the next tx series tablet from HP:

-Include a GPU that definitely-for-sure has its own dedicated memory. No specific models with that sideport nonsense. Just give us at least 256MB of honest to goodness GDDR3 ram or something, jeez.

-Passive digitizer to feature multi-touch. This should be a given, as it seems to be all the rage, and has many practical uses, as well as being very good for longevity of the system come windows 7. Keep the active digitizer. We need it for pressure sensitivity and better inking.

-Move the volume control rocker to the screen. This way we can change our volume levels even in slate mode without fumbling at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

-Possibly make the volume control analogue like the toshiba laptops. In my opinion this is very convenient, as you can adjust exactly how fast or slow your volume level increases/decreases.

-Make it an option that the passive digitizer turns off as soon as the pen is 'clicked' out of it's dock, to completely avoid the dreaded writing with your palm.

-Include some GOOD proprietary software that makes sense to use with our laptops. I'm looking at something like the touchsmart pc.

-Make the keyboard sturdier. It's not that it's bad, but the keys can get a little wobbly.

-Make the swivel go 180 degrees either way. Not just clockwise. I know this would be harder to make, but it not only adds convenience, but if you want to partially swivel the screen either way to show a colleague something, it facilitates it.

-Make a backlit keyboard. Please? I dunno, it would be kinda cool.

-Make a dedicated switch for all the LEDs.

-Get rid of Quickplay. It sucks if there's no quickplay direct.

-Option for Blu-Ray Drive.

-Add a 4-pin firewire port.

-For CTOs, and some pre-built models, include a higher end webcam. The current one is crap. To be fair, most built in webcams are crap though.

-Include better microphones (more sensitive)

-Possibly have DVI-I (both digital or analogue signals) out instead of VGA, or HDMI instead.

-For chrissakes, please re-think the chassis design. The current one has like a million different little grooves that BEG to have crud get into them. SMOOTH THE CASE OUT. I'd love it if the lcd were flush or almost flush with the bezel.

-Same goes for the fingerprint reader. Try to level it with the bezel. For the same reason.

-Okay, this next one is more of a dream feature, but I'd love to have an integrated ATSC tuner. Coupled with a GPS receiver and some nity proprietary software, not only can the tablet be used as a GPS device, the signal would triangulate your position in the world, and if internet is also available it would interface with Vista Media Center and tell it the proper location, automatically syncing local Digital TV listings and giving you proper channel layouts. Shuddup, I think it would be nifty.

-Oh, also, give us a good On screen keyboard for slate mode. The windows one sucks.

Okay, and that just about ends this post. If you read it, comment on it if you like. Heck, add your own. Why not?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Yeah most of that is going to be a long while coming, its a consumer model tablet, for the price point its at, you're not going to get most of those things.

Also a passive digitizer isn't capable of multitouch, you need a capacitive digitizer or an optical solution similar to Microsoft's Surface or that used in the Touchsmart PC.

Re Quickplay technically there is no reason you can't use the older version of Quickplay, but you will need a partition of about 200mb i think it was at the end of your hard drive for it to work properly and you need to check the compatibility with Vista, which is why i think they removed the direct feature.

Re touch, you could use a program like Touch Control, to toggle touch on & off.

What i want to see HP include, an Intel processor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Dojomann

Ahh, I see. As far as multitouch goes, can't HP also make a contract with N-Trig to get that duosense digitizer setup? It seems perfect with multitouch for you fingers and a pressure sensitive pen.

More than anything I guess would be that and a better video card.

4. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

Get rid of the horrid power eating, heat farting, piece o crap that is AMD Puma. Intel Core Duo 2 please :)

5. Dojomann

Amen, but from what I can see they MUST have some sort of contract with their motherboard maker for only AMD processors.

6. lolento

lolento Pen Pal - Newbie

ditch the dvdrw for smaller housing

7. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Errr... sideport memory IS dedicated memory.

Capacitive touch would make unit expensive. I'm all for it though.

I wish we had more programmable buttons on the screen bezel. There are so many things I'd program it for. (For e.g. turn screen off, turn touch off.)

I'd rather have a button on the screen. This way you can easily turn it off and on to your hearts content. If it automatically turned off, what if you lost your pen?

I haven't had that much problems with the keyboard and I type on it quite a bit. I like the feel of this keyboard. It's a bit like my Razer Lycosas.

It wears off quickly. I have 2 Razer Lycosas on 2 different setups and even with it's dimmer lighting, I turn it off.

Yep. I thought the point of it was not having to boot up the entire OS.

AMEN! Preach on brother. What is the point of having hardware decoding for Blu-ray if there is no drive? I use it for my encoded files ( I like to watch HD recordings of football games, etc.) but a Blu-Ray drive would be an enormous boon. I'd gladly fork over some cash for it.

I'd love to be able to connect my HD camera (without using up my express card slot.)

Would go great with a Blu-Ray drive. (HDMI out that is.) Funny thing is, it's easily doable with the HD3200.

Can't an express card do this?

I think this falls more on Microsoft.

Great list. I can only think to add one thing.

LED back lighting. That should use less power, be brighter and get rid of that slightly warm spot on the right of the monitor (where I suspect the inverter for the CCFL is.)

8. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Ignoring obvious from the fanboy-ism, I suspect part of the reason it sells so well (other than the obvious price difference that going to AMD allows.) IS the Puma platform.

Sure I'd like to have a 45nm CPU along with a 55nm GPU. But until Intel can deliver IGP on par with the HD3200 (not just gaming, all around mulitimedia and graphics performance), having a fast CPU is just half of the solution.

Let's face it, one of the big reasons tablets have never caught on thus far is that it's only a glorified notepad and PDA replacement that can run MS Office for vast majority of the users. It's the single biggest reason why I keep stating that most people won't need any more than Lenovo's 1.6GHz. If you want a general purpose machine, look elsewhere, that is...until Gateway CX140 and now HP tx2500.

From a broader perspective, tx2500 is the way out of the tiny niche that tablets have traditionally been in. Without general market acceptance, tablets will have to perpetually accept mediocre performance in return for that digitizer.

Now, to counter that heat argument.... only time I really notice the heat is when I'm doing things that other tablets(Now that CX140 series seems to be gone) simply can't do. Namely, play Half-Life 2 on high settings.

Otherwise, I can even play HD movies at 600 MHz (proof in some other thread I posted.) and the tablet stays cool the entire time. CX140 would have been the only other tablet that could do this.

9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I've seen Intel Notebooks w/ the 3400 variant of the GPU that is in the tx, so that's a non issue.

10. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

What Fan boyism? What I state is true.. Intel Core 2 Duo ULV > AMD Puma for general tablet usage. Though, of course the Puma is indeed more powerful.

No.. not really. The Lenovo, Toshiba, and Fujitsu's are all fine for things except graphically intensive applications.

Strange, because every review out there and several members on this same forum mention that heat is a serious issue.. so serious an issue in fact that many have returned their units because of this.

Too bad that your battery life isn't dramatically increased when you do this. Though, "HD movies" really isn't saying much since any recent computer can play HD movies easily with the x3100 or the GMA950.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.