My next convertible Vs Tablet...Need Help!!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by ships10, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My old and aged convertibles are finally reaching the end of their life span.
    Both Gateway and Toshiba M400 are slowing down to the point even my TPT 10
    is faster and easier to use .
    I'm looking for a laptop/ convertible(not tablet or desktop) replacement.
    I'm thinking of the Lenovo TPY 12 2nd Gen.with wacom (yes it has to have a digitizer).
    Other options include waiting for the SP 4 . Or wait for the TPY 12 3rd Gen?

Any convertible with Verizon cellular capability would be huge plus.

What do you guys think? What are my options ?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  2. shooterboss

shooterboss Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a list of all convertibles, tablets, and detachable devices with Active Pen support along with their specs, prices, and other stuff. If you want a convertible, just look under the column "type". Anything listed as "convertible," "hybrid," "fold," and "pivot" should match your needs. Scroll to the bottom to learn the difference between them.

I've heard rumors that the Surface Pro 4 will be released soon, but the Thinkpad Yoga 12 3rd generation probably won't be out for quite some time, given that the 2nd gen just released earlier this year.

3. shooterboss

To be honest, the only true options for pen support you have are the Thinkpad Yoga 12 (and 14 and 15 but those are rather heavy), the Surface Pro 3, and possibly the HP Pro x2 612 G1 (which is only sold to businesses, so it's kinda hard to get to it). There are others, but they've been getting lukewarm reviews.

When you're shopping for one, just look out for the weight, battery life, and the type of digitizer. Wacom and N-Trig are generally considered the best. Amtel and Synaptics have rather poor pen supports (at least their first generation ones).

4. ships10

Thanks boss.....I'm into Wacom and really not a fan of the others .
    I like the TPY 12 2ND Gen.... but some don't t seem to like the bezel size

5. shooterboss

Hehe... "boss." No one has ever called me that before. :D

Yeah, I personally own the TPY 12 2nd Gen. I think it's a neat laptop convertible. The thicker bezels actually make it easier to hold as a tablet. It's a little heavy for a tablet, but pretty light nonetheless.

Just a fair warning though: right when you get it, run through both "System Update" and "Windows Update" before restarting. It'll save you a lot of heartache and BSODs that I went through.

6. ships10

Yeah, boss.... you're welcome!
    Well it's not as heavy as my gateway cx210x...it weighs over 6.5#!
    I might look into it although with SP4 around the corner.....I might wait..... but I'm not
    an ntrig fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.