My new toy

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by TabbedOut, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, about two weeks ago I got tired of not being able to connect to certain school websites with my iPaq HX4700, so I started looking around at my alternatives. At first I concentrated on another iPaq (the 110 in this case), but realized that while I loved the small form factor I wasn't convinced that the 110 would give me a significantly better experience as I had upgraded the HX's RAM to 128mb a couple of years ago, the CPU was running at the same clock speed (albeit now I could watch better encoded movies on the newer device), and it was running the same OS (WM6.1 don't ask me how). I started looking at other options, at first the OQO, but then the Sony UX series after I saw how under powered the OQO was. I picked up a nearly new UX380n about a week ago and today it finally arrived... and it is certainly living up to my expectations

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see it has a MUCH smaller footprint than my M700... about 75% smaller
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is as thick though. I do have the pocket space for it though in my scrubs so this should not be much of an issue. It weighs quite a bit more than the HX so I will be cinching up those strings tight to keep my pants up... we'll see how that goes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just another view of it opened up exposing the keyboard.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

What I've noticed in using it over the past couple of hours is that while it does take MUCH longer to boot from a cold state it does seem more responsive once it is up and running. It also takes quite a bit longer to install updates. I'm sure that this is probably due to it's single core processor (which can and most likely will be upgraded in the near future to a U7700 dual core unit) and the 4200RPM 1.8" drive... also I've been watching it and as they say about a watched pot... I purchased one more copy of Win7 (my $30 student copy) to install on this thing so hopefully that will speed up the booting with a clean install of an OS and all (I really don't feel like installing Win7's RC only to have to reinstall the full version in a couple of days).

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Yeah, the 4200rpm drive really is a hinderence in these ultraportables. Most places don't even carry them any more. Make the jump to 5400rpm though, it makes a significant difference. I still have to decide what to do with my 5400rpm 120gb from my 2710p.....

3. TabbedOut

At this point the speed is the least of my worries. After updating everything I had a whole 10gb of space left of a 30gb partition. I am currently deleting everything off of it. If you can't think of anything to do with that drive just let me know... I think I could probably give it a good home.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

:D still debating, for now

What programs do you have installed on that thing? This is always a interesting question for me, because using a tweaked windows 7 and having ALL my programs installed I only use 5.25gb. This is really nice, as a 32gb HDD always has about 20gb of breathing room for me :)

5. TabbedOut

A TON of crapware came on it. MS Office trial, MS Works, google communicator, some imagine editing software, norton trial, etc (haven't gone through all of it yet... norton still uninstalling). Once I clear it all out I'll let you know how much it's changed.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice. This Sony UMPC is a nice machine, sadly old, thick and has short battery life. I would have taken something like a Viliv or waited for Win 7 with the new soon to be released slate 'netbooks'/'UMPCs' instead.
    However I don't know what you're planning to do with it.

I also read that the CPU is upgradeable, however, it's soldered, so you'll have to be able to solder BGA chips somehow. I don't think that it's that easy, you'll also need the right tools for this.

HDD: Maybe you should upgrade to a SSD instead, because you only have limited RAM which isn't upgradeable, so a SSD may be much better than a not so much faster 5400RPM HDD.

7. TabbedOut

You're right about the CPU, and I won't be doing it myself. There is a guy on another forum who has done quite a few and I will probably have him doing it. I considered the SSD but a couple of issues came up. It seems that there are only the MTron SSDs that work at full speed on this thing without a hack that must be implemented each time the machine is turned on/brought back from standby or hibernate. Of the mtrons I can only find that in 16 and 32gb varieties and hear that there is a 64gb version out there someplace. I was really planning on using this as a mp3 player/gps in my car as well so I need the space. Also, looking at the benchmark numbers that users who use even the "fast" ssd are getting, it is really less than impressive and I don't think the 1.8" SSD is worth the cost at this time for the machine. BTW the current drive that this thing is a 40gb 4200rpm with only 2mb cache. I'm hoping that a boost to a 5400rpm drive with 8mb cache will give me more than just a little boost... but time will tell.
    I just ran registry mechanic on it and that seems to have given a bit of a boost and I'm still uninstalling junk off of it, later on tonight I'll really start tweaking it to see what I can do.

8. biggrins

biggrins Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the UX380n too. I love mine. I put a bigger Hard drive (120) and changed to os to window 7. Only thing not working so great is the WWan part, but don't plan to get onto At&t's network. I wish I had the rotating part working. I have been tempted into changing it back to the original setup, but kind of like it with window 7 on it.

9. TabbedOut

My rotation is working great. Did you use win7 driver pack from micropctalk.com or from sony (it seems like the drivers need to be installed in a certain order and sony unfortunately doesn't indicate this)

10. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, since it goes without saying that this device doesn't have optical drive, how did you manage to install the OS? by using external optical drive?

Does Sony provide the external with the unit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.