My new T4220 (list of initial quick thoughts)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kureshii, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamsterinwa

hamsterinwa Pen Pal - Newbie

I just have completed setting up my new T4220. I purchased it through LA and it was a GREAT experience. I highly recommend them.

Purchased with following config:
    * 2.4 GHz
    * 1 GB (2 * 512MB), replaced with 4GB of OCZ
    * 80 GB, replaced by Hitachi 7200rpm 200GB
    * BT
    * SXGA+
    * Intel ABGN
    * DVD+/-RW do-it-all (except LightScribe) drive

Overall, I'm quite happy with the unit. I am a second time convertible user (first one that served me quite well was a Toshiba M200 with 2.0GHz, 7200rpm drive, 2GB, SXGA+, BT). I debated heavily between this and the X61T and finally chose the higher computing power and faster expected delivery (although having a unit on the Lenovo Outlet would've changed my decision).

My list of various thoughts:
    * VERY warm: I'm seeing NHC give me CPU temps 60-75 deg C, which concerns me. I'm going to try and doing some more tuning to see if I can help reduce the heat. I think it's kind of interesting that I can feel warm air blowing at times up through parts of the keyboard.
    * This screen is good, but the M200's was better in primary landscape. The SXGA+ on my old Toshiba was more crisp and clear in the primary landscape, however the T4220 definitely looks better in the other orientations (better compromise across the orientations).
    * The M200 had the hard buttons, but also had some off-screen soft buttons you can access with the stylus. It was a very cool feature (more of a novelty for me though).
    * 4GB makes Vista install crash. I installed a kit from OCZ. I don't think this isssue is T4220-specific; I'm hoping it's not some RAM compatibility, but rather Vista installer flaw. I'm running a upgrade anytime Ultimate version now. I noticed it doing the upgrade to Ultimate, and also when I did a complete recovery install. The easy fix was to reduce the ram to the orig 1GB or to a single 2GB module.
    * NHC doesn't show HD temperature on the Hitachi 200GB 7200rpm drive.
    * I'm overall happy with the performance. I haven't really put it through its paces yet.
    * I love having an internal DVD+/-RW drive! Although I'll see how much I use it when I have everything installed properly. I also have an LG USB drive that does LightScribe which I've decided to keep as I got it for a great price.
    * The black backing on the top shows lots of fingerprints.
    * I love to rotation both ways, and with the little LED showing which way is the right way to rotate it back!
    * The LCD display for the various status does need a backlight! Maybe I do use it it too dark a place, but I typically have my primary laptop attached to me and use it where ever I am.
    * Omnipass: why do I have to approve its running every time I logon/unlock?!?! And two times most of the time? Maybe I'm just missing something here.
    * I had to completely reinstall as I couldn't find the Fujitsu Driver Update app anywhere. I am probabaly just missing something obvious!
    * The Button Driver doesn't install, but seems to be working fine. The Button Utility is there and shows up properly. After trying to install the Button Driver about 5 times, I gave up.
    * A little heavier than the M200, noticeably so. I do wish this unit were just a tad lighter. I have tried removing the DVD drive and it still is a bit heavy.
    * Battery life: I've tried doing a full run and I'm seeing under 2 hrs. I haven't done much tuning yet. While it's not too bad, I'll have to tune it a bit; I was hoping with all the new technologies that I would see much better times.
    * I wish it had ExpressCard or FireWire! I didn't even think about ExpressCard, but the T4220 has USB 2.0 as its fastest bus. I don't think it'll be a huge issue at least for the next year or so, but I can easily imagine wanting a faster bus for some uses (e.g. eSATA external drives).

Wow, wasn't expecting this to be such a long list!

So far, I'm quite happy with the unit and expect that it'll suit my needs well.

2. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The heat is certainly cause for concern; NHC reports my T4210's core temps as 57 deg C. I'm not sure if C2D temps should be so much higher. Checked power options yet? I'm not familiar with Vista, but it should probably be along the lines of "Portable/Laptop"...

If NHC doesn't show the HDD temp, then maybe the HDD doesn't support SMART. My stock Fuji HDD doesn't either; I simply disabled HDD monitoring in NHC. The hard drive doesn't worry me much, in any case.

My black backing used to show some fingerprints; a little rubbing with the screen cloth provided did the trick. Now it looks scruffed, which could be why it doesn't pick up prints anymore. But I still like the look.

Does Fujitsu have a Driver Update app? Could have been that Update Navi thing I uninstalled eons ago... but you can do the driver installations manually anyway, after downloading them from the support site. It should come with almost all essential drivers installed already (though likely not updated).

I've come to accept the weight as a consequence of buying a Core Duo machine with optical drive and all the works, with a sturdy bi-directional hinge to boot. I'm planning on getting a much lighter machine as an ebook reader, so the Fuji will serve mainly as a notetaking machine and number-cruncher.

2 hours is far from its true potential; heavy usage should yield between 2 to 3 hours. Minimal usage (notetaking only, half brightness) yields 5-6hrs for me, I'm not sure if this is due to differences between CD and C2D (should be minimal), between XP and Vista or between Napa and Santa Rosa. But other users have reported better battery life; try tweaking options in NHC and see what you get.

With a modular battery the T4210 lasts almost twice as long; NHC's battery life-reporting is grossly inaccurate with 2 batts (24 hrs!? C'mon, Fuji can't be that good can they...), but from prolonged usage I'm estimating that 10 hrs of pure notetaking (in Journal) shouldn't be a problem.

Once Expresscard becomes mainstream I hope the T-series will be updated with it as well. I'm not missing the lack of Firewire in any way since I don't use it at all =)

3. mingching29

mingching29 Pen Pal - notNewbie

yes i guess so... i have a T4215 and i also encounter the "warm" problem.. i borrowed my friends cooling fan but that did not help alot but it probably made it cooler by 2-3 degrees maybe.. havent checked.....

4. pouryas

pouryas Pen Pal - Newbie

T4220 seems to be a powerful tabletpc

So why it is going down on the list ???

Currently it is on 9th Top TP list !!!!!

Is the price the only disadvantage of T4220 or there are other problemz ?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i'm Confused

Which one is really better ? Asus R1 Or Fujitsu T4220 ?

Tnx

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Better" is subjective... but I believe most people would say the T4220.

The Top TPC list is based on viewer clicks, not on "popularity", and is not an indication of sales volume, tablet PC superiority, manufacturer market share, or whatever. It is just an indication of number of visits to the product pages - don't ask me how it's counted though, you'll be better off asking Tiffany or one of the other admins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.