My New Portable Art Studio (Modbook Pro!)

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Yuureikun, Jan 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuureikun

Yuureikun Scribbler - Standard Member

GFXmonkey: It definitely feels great. Even when compared to my old Wacom Companion, the Modbook feels remarkably solid and durable, and the Force Flex glass is super smooth to draw on. If the build quality of this Modbook Pro is any indicator of how the Pro X is going to come out, then the Pro X absolutely will be one phenomenal workstation.

The beauty of the Modbook, or any Mac computer for that matter, is you can install Windows on it. When buying the Modbook, I actually had the option to have them pre install Windows 7 and choose whether I wanted OSX or Windows as my primary OS, as well as how much space to partition for each. So the Modbook actually could very easily be a Windows tablet as well as running OSX if one preferred.

thatcomicsguy: Thanks, I really love it so far. The build quality paired with the powerful guts really is making for a great machine to draw on. Especially considering that the Cintiq Companion always ran well for my particular uses (mostly print work), the Modbook runs nice and smooth for my applications.

Hopefully someone pops on here and posts about the Modbook Pro X once they get it in their hands so we can get some info about the digitizer and what not. I really wish I had the backbone to plunk down $5k for the model I wanted. But I was too weary, with it being a Kickstarter for a product that possibly could never come to fruition, to drop that kind of money on a promise of a product to be.

GFXmonkey and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Congratz on your new tablet workstation! I know that tingle you get when start to feel a tablet could be 'the one'... :vbbiggrin:

I've been looking to replace my EP121 for like 3 years, but somehow no other tablet can match it 'smoothness' and overall feel. Hopefully you fall equally in love with your new workstation.

If only that darned MBPX had touch I honestly would have plunked down that kind of cash (provided it had a good warranty). I guess I only have Vaio's new tablet to look forward to and hope they can iron out the kinks of N-Trig..sigh.

3. Yuureikun

Thanks! It is definitely exciting. It really felt like the Cintiq Companion left a hole in my soul after I had to let it go due to the constant failures. Aside from that, it was truly an ideal workstation for me. The Modbook finally feels like something can come and fill that gap in my workflow for me without feeling like I am making a compromise.

I was so terribly close to dropping the $5k or so on the Pro X. Even still I almost feel like I should have done it. Having now tried the Modbook Pro and feeling how much love and care goes into the craftsmanship of it, I really feel like the Pro X is going to be a force to be reckoned with once it is finally completed.

4. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Pen Pal - Newbie

Makes sense. As I am pretty certain that the 13.3" digitizer screens weren't made available to Axiotron until someone put a bug in Wacom's ear about using it in a successful product of their own - i.e: the 12WX* - I assume the same will be occurring again. Perhaps Wacom is just waiting for enough PC tablet manufacturers to license the 15.5" digitizer so as to make a large cost-effective production run.

*I wonder who that was;)

5. Jambalaya

Jambalaya Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a little lazy today but I'm assuming the Intuos digitizers are tilt/rotation capable?

My only real complaint about my old Modbook was that it didn't have those features which makes some of the high end painting software out there much more friendly. The technology of the day would have required another inch or so of bezel to accommodate tilt/rotation which is (I was told) part of the original rationale for the upward chamfer of the current designs. Without it I started using Artrage a lot more as brush stroke orientation is related to stroke direction and doesn't require rotation capability.

6. Yuureikun

Yes, the Intuos 4/5 digitizers detect tilt and rotation, and are the most current Wacom tablet tech that is built into all of the current Cintiq products.

I never used tilt or rotation, and I don't think any of the brushes in Manga Studio even support those features, so it is nothing I miss. Which is good, since the UD digitizers are some pretty old technologies and the wonderful features in Manga Studio make up for the lack of fancy features of older Wacom tablets.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  7. Yuureikun

Just took a couple more pictures (sorry about the poor lighting in my house), this time with my iPad hooked up using TwoMonUSB to use it as a second monitor for my tools:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another really cool feature that TwoMonUSB just added recently is the ability to mirror my monitor, which allows me to use the iPad as a display to show people what I am working on when I am drawing at a convention. People will be able to stop by my booth and watch what I am doing on my iPad in real time, while I sit behind the iPad with my Modbook and work!

[​IMG]

8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Thanks for the picks! What resolution is your ipad?
    I find the extreme res of the NotePro a problem when I use it with USBmon, since the tools and menus get sooooo small its hard to hit them with anything but the pen! Did you just zoom in, or is that native res?

9. GFXmonkey

GFXmonkey Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool setup... I like how it fits together. How do you use the Contour Shuttle? I've been considering getting one for years, but have never gotten around to it.

10. Yuureikun

stoneseeker: the iPad has a 2048 x 1536 resolution screen. I am not sure how it was set right there, I am not totally sure I am able to change the resolution it displays in TwoMonUSB for OSX. I think that you should be able to go into your display settings in Windows and choose what resolution you want to have the Galaxy Note to display as though, and thus make your menu icons larger.

GFXmonkey: I have the shuttle set up for basic things like undo, redo, zoom, changing brush size, etc. It works really well. It's very responsive and programmable to work using different hot keys for different software.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.