My Full HP zBook x2 Review (Video)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Happehlemons, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Happehlemons

Happehlemons Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all, put this together to go over all my thoughts on the device. Let me know what you think Any questions feel free to ask. I made it less about benchmarks and more about general usage expectations.

2. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice review. I haven't had much time with mine, as I'm in the middle of a project and don't want to migrate over until it's finished, but didn't realize that about the quick keys and can see how that can get frustrating. Surprised HP doesn't think that's an issue. I also have to say that you are much braver than I am when it comes to that stand. I never would have imagined using it as a handle, but if it works, it works. What happened to showing it mounted / hung on a vesa mount?

3. Happehlemons

Dang I completely slipped on the Vesa Mount. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to post pictures later today to show you what I mean, and do an update video so everyone knows what I'm talking about.

4. incredulous

incredulous Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for an excellent review, you uncovered several things that I've not seen elsewhere.

I've been speaking to HP Workstation sales in the UK, but failed to find out what I wanted, so bought a standard machine to try out and return before configuring what I need - not what I'd like, but it's been useful to get hand's-on.

You made two points that I'd be grateful if you could expand on:

1. The non-Dreamcolour display on the first unit you bought:
    The unit I have is the same and I agree, the colours lack vibrancy. I'm really surprised the screen is so poor to be honest, especially considering how good most laptop displays are these days. Nevertheless, I was wondering about getting a colorimeter and giving calibration a go, because if the non-Dreamcolour display can be made to look good, it will help improve battery life over the Dreamcolour, that has to run the Quadro card permanently to handle the 10-bit colour (8+2 FRC).
    Did you try a calibration and did it make any real difference?

2. You mentioned that the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro drivers will work on the X2, which is super interesting and begs the burning question: did you install them and have you tried to use a Wacom Pro pen or similar with the X2?
    I would absolutely love to be able to use a pen with more than one button on the barrel for 3D work, which would obviously require suitable drivers... I don't want to get too excited, but if the drivers work, I guess that's a possibility..

5. Happehlemons

I tried my best to manually calibrate the display many times, but my main issue wasn't the color, it was the gamma. Getting the grey levels right while having deep blacks and while still having reasonable white points was impossible for me. I either couldn't see black text on white backgrounds, or I had to turn down the levels to a rate where everything was completely crushed. Hope that makes sense.

When it comes to using other pens, you can't. At least Pro Pens, Pro Pen 2, or 3D Pens by wacom wont work at all on the device. The display doesn't respond to them at all. I hear the dell canvas pen works (Haven't been able to confirm), but it has 2000 levels of pressure (if that actually matters) but it at least has two buttons.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

You guys think the non-Dreamcolor screen lacks vibrancy?! I had to turn the color saturation down on my non-Dreamcolor screen! Highly saturated colors hurt my eyes, even at low brightness levels. A Dreamcolor screen would have been completely wasted on me.

Can confirm the Dell Canvas pen works, with a major caveat. You'll have to recalibrate the screen to work with this pen, and you'll be unlikely to match the pinpoint accuracy the Zbook pen will have at all angles. And you'll need a third party program, Radial Menu, to customize both buttons. The HP driver will only program the lower button.

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You can't fool us with that disguise, Lisa

8. Happehlemons

I'm not sure how to explain it, but my non-dreamcolor display was over-saturated as well. The colors are just more accurate on the dreamcolors screens, although it doesn't feel over saturated like my non dream color did if that makes sense.

9. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Oh, interesting! I guess I'd have to see a Dreamcolor screen in person to really compare. Kind of a shame I almost certainly never will.

Edit: Actually, looking at the Zbook screen side by side next to my T901, I feel like the grays and blacks are a bit washed out on the Zbook. I guess the colors will need some tinkering. Humph.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  10. carnageX12

carnageX12 Pen Pal - Newbie

So the Radial Menu program enables you two use both side buttons? I just got the official HP pen and going to compare it to the modbook pen I have, which seemed pretty accurate already. Might continue to use the modbook pen if both side buttons can work.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018