My Experience Might Help You

Discussion in 'Professions' started by Mikejody, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Mikejody

Mikejody Pen Pal - Newbie

I've wanted to get a tablet, and have found out that there are not any made that do the following:

10 inch (or so)
    Keyboard
    Mouse or trackpad
    Pen support
    Good battery life (8 hours)
    Any operating system
    Any price

So I set out to get all the new tablets (made sure I could return them if needed) and here is what I found out:

I started with the Google Pixel C. Great tablet but did not have pen support, palm rejection, etc. Not good. Returned it.

Next I got the iPad Pro 9.7. Best tablet ever! But, no support for a mouse or trackpad. Do you know how hard it is to move your cursor to the exact right spot in a Word document or email? Almost impossible. Not good. I returned it.

MS Surface Pro 4. Good tablet, even though it has a huge 12.2 inch screen and horrible battery life. Good pen support. Fairly lightweight. Somewhere around 4 hours of battery life at the most. Returned it.

I literally could find no other tablet that had everything that i needed, which is listed above.

MS Surface 3. Good size, good pen support and battery life. I'm keeping it as of now. We'll post more after I use it for a week.

Anybody else know of any tablet that accomplishes the list of things I need? I'll post the list here again:

10 inch (or so)
    Keyboard
    Mouse or trackpad
    Pen support
    Good battery life (8 hours)
    Any operating system
    Any price

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Yes, lack of mouse support is a drag. But if your main concern is Word I can tell you that the Smart Keyboard solves most of those problems since it has arrow keys.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

Microsoft Sp4's Tablet input panel also needs forward backward keys it.
    Not everybody can afford type cover. And Sp4 is supposed to be a complete device on it's own.
    Pen is not as precise as mouse.

4. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you considered the Note Pro 12.2? People have reported getting 8+ hours of real-world use on that...

siddhartth likes this.
  5. siddhartth

You need a Surface 3 + power bank that's all

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

+1.
    It seems to be the only tablet hitting all your requirements, (you'll need to buy a compatible keyboard and mouse separately) I acn draw for 6-8 hours if I'm careful about brightness and turning off unnecessary features.

7. djas

djas Graffiti User

stoneseeker likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you managed to get past some of the lumps since you got it?

I keep eyeing the thing on eBay...

9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

My gripes --lumps-- are with Android in general I think. Weird to get used to when your coming from a strictly windows environment. I have gotten used to Android and understand its quircks and general logic a lot better now, especially since owning a samsung note edge phone as well.
    I have enjoyed the tablet as an accompaniment device for games, sketching and light painting, but anytime I try to do real work on it I get foiled. It does seem that my tablet is the only one doing the thing where it crashes in painting apps and destroys any evidence of the project I was working on, so I imagine it needs a proper reset or something...? I dont feel like those instances I did anything outside of its capabilities. It just happens if I paint for longer than a couple hours or so straight. Those crashes are frustrating, but appear to be outside of the norm.
    The Ipad Pro seems like a fine tablet for light art as well, but I wouldn't want to have to enter their walled garden after all these years of proudly avoiding it.

thatcomicsguy and siddhartth like this.
  10. siddhartth

Ram might be an issue. Anything ink for more than a hour is very taxing for system.
    http://viettran.com/tech-talks/41-reasons-why-pen-and-paper-are-still-better-than-an-ipad

Skip to the last heading called crash.

stoneseeker likes this.