My batteries are finally starting to die

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by leaftye, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I only got six hours of battery life yesterday with low power usage. I used to get closer to 10, although that was with used batteries. I started off at 84% charge. For some reason my tablet rarely gets a full charge now and seems to lose charge after finishing charging even if it's plugged in. It probably didn't help that I've run the batteries down to 3% a couple times lately.

I want to get new batteries, but I'm holding off to get the right low power consumption ssd to see if I can get 15 hours of battery life. Unfortunately I need space for all the books I've ever scanned and I don't want to pay more than $300. The Intel 160 gig ssd would be perfect, but it's too expensive right now.

No question here. Just moaning that I'm forced to bring my charger to school now.

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Don't expect SSD prices to drop drastically any time soon, i am still waiting for a cheap 1.8" ssd, and i have been waiting 6 months with the price only dropping $35 CAN.

3. leaftye

Have you seen Intel's new 1.8" 80 gig ssd? It's about $360 over here. I wish I could deal with 80 gigs. I thought I could until I realized how much space my books are starting to take. There may be hope for us with OCZ. They look like they're on the verge of making a ssd without major problems.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Thats not bad for a Intel ssd. only issue with me is the processor. I would be choked out long before i would have a use for the full speed avaliable by Intel. What you could so is get a 80gb SSD, then put your extra media on either a SD card or expresscard SSD. Both are cheap ways of obtaining additional storage.

5. leaftye

Yeah, I think it's time for me to order a new battery, at least the main battery. It sort of stops charging at 84%, except it says it's still charging. Sometimes it'll allow the modular bay battery to charge, but sometimes it won't. Right now it won't, and my modular battery is sitting at 44% and won't charge. I've just taken out the main battery to see if that'll force it to charge. Part of me thinks the inverter may be going out too. Hopefully not, as that could make getting full battery life back much more expensive than I'd like.

6. leaftye

I installed the new battery today and realized the old battery just has one bad cell. So 100%/6 gets the 16% I'm missing. Weird. Anyway, nice to be back up to 100%.

7. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

I just had to get a new main battery as well for my T4220. I bought the laptop about 1 year and 8 months ago and could get about 3 hours on it when it was new. I then bought a modular bay battery about a year ago and was able to get 6 hours total. Then a few months ago my main battery started dying out rapidly and could barely hold any charge on its own. I replaced it recently and am back up to about 5 hours max using both batteries. I wonder how long the modular bay battery will last.

8. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

As far as I know, the modular bay battery in the 4220 is the same as the 4010.

We get about 12-18 months of usage out of each one. They are used heavily, depleted at least once a day, 6 days a week. That's about 300-450 recharges. They are still usable, but their life is noticeably reduced.