MUST-HAVE software for TM2

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by rorytmeadows, Aug 7, 2010.

1. deyanimay

deyanimay Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. SuperC142

SuperC142 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wanted a really good, lean, touch-friendly launcher app. HP's little TouchSmart launcher is ok, but it doesn't have categories so it's not really practical for me (and, honestly, those enormous icons are a bit obnoxious IMO). So, I just started to develop my own. To do this though, I need to extract the high-resolution icons from EXEs and DLLs. I'm shocked at how incredibly difficult this has turned out to be (for me, at least). You can't simply call the ExtractIconEx or SHGetFileInfo APIs because they only return a 16x16 icon and a 32x32 icon. Instead, you need to call the SHGetImageList API (as far as I can tell, there's no other way). Microsoft accidently forgot to export it by name so you have to invoke it using its ordinal (727). This has a lot of painful implications!

I will say this though- the new touch features in WPF, .NET 4.0, and Windows 7 are incredible. I knew Windows is now very touch-friendly, but I didn't realize the extent of the support until I started trying to write an app. There are millions of touch-specific events, methods, etc. I'm all sorts of impressed. :)

Anyway, bringing it back on topic, maybe someday I'll have a neat little launcher to add here. Then again, maybe I'll just get sick of it and abandon the idea entirely- haha.

3. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

Could not get connectify to work with the gobi card

4. rorytmeadows

rorytmeadows Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent! Hope to see your application browser up soon! And just an incentive: touch overlays like the one you're describing and others like Thinix, are going to be (IMO) VERY big later this year and next. If your work is nice, it might be VERY popular on Windows 7 touch devices...

5. deyanimay

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Joswea

Joswea Pen Pal - Newbie

As of yet, I don't have my tm2. But when I do get it, I want to continue using Chrome, since I'm using it right now, have been for about 6 months and absolutely love it.

Anybody else use Chrome and have any good add-ons that make it touch-friendly?

7. SuperC142

SuperC142 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the encouragement! I tend to agree with you, BTW; another reason why I'd like to make it "public-ready" (as opposed to something strictly utilitarian that I could whip up in 5 minutes for personal use only). I don't have a lot of time for personal development anymore though, but I'll do my best to not drag it out forever and get bored with the project, as is normal with me. ;-)

8. rorytmeadows

rorytmeadows Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep up the work. Working hard and efficiently will pay off soon. But I stand by my statements that these overlay projects are going to be HUGE.

9. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the idea of phun. I got my hands on Algodoo (paid version of Phun) and all I can say is: awesome. I just had my first overheat, when my tm2 just shut down and when I started it I was told that it reached 90 degrees :S
    Conclusion: Don't use a CPU extensive appliaction like Algodoo on the bed.

10. deyanimay

Lol, I tried the old phun beata on an old HP TC1000 and it ran ok as long as I didn't try to maximize or even enlarge the window, at that point everything just stopped working so I didn't get a chance to really try it out. I can't wait for my tm2 to come!:D