Must Have Software For Tablet Pc's - Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'Software' started by poetdante, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ah yes another trial program I have that I want. I also want some good math software but I forgot its name.

2. bilzebub

bilzebub Pen Pal - Newbie

I have acrobat professional running on my PIII-700 [256 ram] (while I wait for my tc4200 tablet :)
    and it runks 'ok' - though it is slow to load, it doesn't seem to take near as much memory once its up than say firfox, or outlook. My question is, is this german annotator as good as other programs i haven't tried either, such as cutepdf? Or is it better to convert pdfs with conversion software and put em in onenote?

3. Daring

Daring Moderator

I'm really not familiar with CutePDF, but it seems more a tool to create PDF files then edit/annotate them. The problem with Acrobat Pro is that although it will allow you to highlight, add comments it is quite labor intensive with the pen. It was optimized for keyboard/mouse. PDFAnnotator was designed to be an annotator for Tablets.

You can import the file to OneNote or GoBinder, but that too is an extra step and quite often the resulting document does not look as good as the original. Further, if you ever need to send the annotated document there is no way to do that. Finally, there are some things that I may want to keep but don't want cluttering up my OneNote/GoBinder file. For example there are several magazines which I download in PDF format and sometimes want to highlight sections. I don't want them intermingled with all of my other "real" documents.

4. bilzebub

That's great Darin! I'll have to get it - or should I wait till I see what pdf-ability OneNote 12 has? (I know some people got in on the beta-testing, but it's closed, and won't be out in retail form till the spring.

... one thing remains - i annotate a lot of pdfs currently - i guess you'd have to use a desktop search like google desktop etc to find particular annotations? it would be nice if the pdf annotator indexed them somehow in a database :)

5. Daring

Daring Moderator

I can't advise you what is the best approach other then to say that if you need to send annotated files to another person or if you annotate files that you don't need in a repository (as mentioned above) then OneNote probably isn't for you.

As far as a desktop search, currently I know of no program which will search individual files for ink. That was one of the reasons I went with GoBinder (although OneNote would have worked in this respect as well). I create many notes for meetings I attend. I need to be able to easily search those notes for ink or text. Frankly, if I could find such a program it would likely eliminate much of my need for GoBinder. Journal did a fair job (and is free) for just general notetaking and since it has a printer that also allows for searching text, if I could find a utility to search Journal files for ink or text that would solve 70-80% of my needs.

BTW, do you just use Acrobat to annotate?

6. bilzebub

No I don't share the pdfs back and forth - but i read a lot of ebook/jornal articles for my research in pdf, and yes I just use acro pro to highlight and annotate, essentially :) I know it is a huge waste of the program, but its a complex bugger and I don't know if I want to try and find out what else it can do for me.

So if there was a way of searching annotations, it would be amazing. Supposedly this new upcoming onenote will do something better with pdfs, but just what they won't say.

The ink searching in Gobinder is the killer feature - not sure i can wait till spring 06 for it to arrive in OneNote (I like its searchable note flags though)

Cheers,
    Bill

7. poetdante

You can do ink search in OneNote. It searches by searching all of your handwriten stuff, converting them to text, and then shows each handwritten thing you did depending on what you typed. I use it sometimes.

8. Daring

Daring Moderator

poetdante is correct. Both can search ink, sorry if I left the impression that OneNote couldn't. What OneNote can't do (at least not yet) is search text from documents created outside of OneNote.

9. poetdante

ah that is correct. I am sure Microsoft will make an application for that shortly.

10. Daring

Daring Moderator

From what I understand that application will be OneNote 12. Only problem is I am not clear on if they will convert previous OneNote files so that the text is searchable.