Music player - some thoughts

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by d.goryachev, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

Last few days i've spent experimenting with music players. There are not so rich choise - qmmp, cuberok and .. mpd + QtMPC

First one compiles, runs .. but very uncomfortable. It have winamp-like interface, not for eee note.

Second - cuberok. Looks very interesting but segfaults while playing. Looks like there are an errors in ffmpeg plug-in, but i can't find where. Moreover, project looks abandoned and there no chance for help from author.

Third - mpd daemon + QtMPC frontend. mpd itself was downloaded from ipkg.nslu2-linux.org repositary, QtMPC compiles .. with cmake, it's one and only problem.

Last choise looks most promising. mpd runs, plays .. even in sleep mode :) But there are some disadvantages - it have A LOT of dependencies. Really A LOT, about 20 packages. I've placed all required shared libs into temporary folder, but it's acceptable for experiments, but very poor solution for daily use.

I think, i could try to compile it with support only OSS as output and ffmpeg (and may be ogg vorbis?) support. Not sure in success, but worth to try.

Is anyone interested? Have anyone thoughts about it?

2. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

3. d.goryachev

They requires phonon ..
    But it worth to try ..

4. lroncero

lroncero Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi d.goryachev,

You will never stop amazing us.

I am interested in the music player, but we just need something very very simple, with no graphic interface if possible

However, and sorry if I am repeating myself, I (and others, I think) are more interested in the porting of a better PDF reader for the eeenote. I know we can change all our pdf files to djvu and read them there, but the files cannot be annotated.

If only our eeenote had a better pdf reader, I think the device would just be perfect for me.

Thanks in advance.

5. d.goryachev

w/o gui - mpd, definitly (it have console client).

I still have no luck with phonon and eeenote gstreamer libs :( Looks like mpd is best alternative to native player.

6. d.goryachev

I've compiled latest stable mpd with only two dependences - mad as mp3 codec and libid3 for tags. Runs much better, comparing version from optware, scanning of 5-6Gb folder takes only ~20 secs (optware version crashed on it), while playing requires 14-10% CPU and ~2% memory.

As GIU was used QtMPC may be too ascetic, but good shell. Think it worth to add mpd start/stop actions and .. that's all :)

BTW, native player often consumes 100% of cpu for me :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

So long that I waited for this! Anything better than Asus' native I like it! At least rewind ;) I'm really wondering why we can do more things in memo player than music player.

Do you think it could be possible to play videos on eee note? I tried several things but the majority needs phonon.

8. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

9. d.goryachev

It so happens that QtFM slightly distracted my attention from music player, but now it almost finished too.

Only last question: I've managed to use status bar icon from native player (flashing CD icon). It works as intended, with only exception - if clicked last popup menu entry, "switch to player" - Eee Note will run native player beside custom one.

So the question is: should custom player REPLACE original (native binary will be renamed and keeped) or it can be installed beside and work with little flaw, as described earlier.

I think to choose the first option

10. viox

viox Pen Pal - Newbie

Replace for sure :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.