1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Multitouch or Superview

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by bkrosco, Jun 19, 2007.

1. bkrosco

bkrosco Pen Pal - Newbie

I currently have a Superview on order (SXGA screen). I am still going back and forth in my mind though as to whether or not multitouch would be better for me.

One of my concerns is if I do not get the multitouch screen, is there an issue with resting my hand on the screen while writing? Will that screw it up?

I do a lot of remote support so I want the higher resolution so that my client's screen will fit inside of mine without having to scroll so much.

Thanks for any input.
  2. wermerskoch

wermerskoch Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a pretty extensive video review of the multitouch screen:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/LenovoThinkPadX60TabletPCMultiTouchAndUltrabase.aspx

To answer your main question about writing on the multitouch screen, no it will not mess it up. It senses when you are using the digitizer, and turns off the passive touch screen accordingly. The guy in the video talks about that at great length. I'll be getting an X60 with multitouch in the next few days, can't wait! :D Having the ability to navigate with my finger, if I should so desire, was worth the lower resolution to me. Especially if you're just reading and listening to some music. Hope this helps.

Warner
  3. thaluckyspoon

thaluckyspoon Scribbler - Standard Member

I had no idea which one I wanted; every single day I woke up with a different opinion. I ended up having my girlfriend draw out of a hat for me. When she pulled out 'Super view- no multi touch' I felt sad and that made me realize that I truly wanted the multi-touch.
  4. SFWrtr

SFWrtr Science Fiction Writer

Perhaps multi-touch isn't a deciding factor. Having bought the multi-touch screen, I will say that being able to poke the screen occasionally to press a button is good. You're going to reserve writing to the pen though.

What you might want to think about is the Multi-view part of the screen. The lap top is very usable outdoors if you get the multi-touch, multi-view screen. From what I have heard, it has less trouble with smudges than the superview and works better outdoors. The res is lower, however. I like the mt/mv, though. I've posted pictures on the blog page of my X61 Tablet page (see my signature below).
  5. sregreb

sregreb Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't believe that Multitouch should require that much pressure. I will do plenty of web surfing, and want to use touch for that. I hope there is some further calibration that can be done so we can use it like the videos we have seen on GBM. At least that's what I want to believe....
  6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

I went for the SXGA+ because I wanted the screen real estate it offered. XGA is a low resolution and I can't deal with it - I feel too limited by low resolutions in what I can do.
  7. thaluckyspoon

If you check out online videos of other users the finger input looks much better than SFWrtr describes. I see no screen wobbling from the demo's.
  8. ensoll

ensoll Pen Pal - Newbie

It sounds like he is trying to use the meat of his finger to press things. Using a fingernail gets much better results on the touch screens I've tried.
  9. thaluckyspoon

Yea it sounds like it to me as well. I use the tip of my fingernail here at work on our HP Touchsmart PC. I don't see a reason to even want to have the ability to use the fat of your finger; It only makes the screen greasy and shortens its life span.

If you haven't decided on multi-touch yet imagine this. You lose your pen and the shipping will take 3 business days. With multi-touch you can grab anything and write with it almost (but not quite) as well as you could with the digitizer.
  10. sregreb

sregreb Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point. I guess I should have considered this before, and it's probably a stupid question, but how do you RIGHT-CLICK in tablet mode? With the little button on the pen? Obviously you can't with touch.
  11. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

I recall seeing a video where a guy was using a touch screen and apparently there is this tiny little graphical mouse that you can move around that has left and right mouse click buttons. I'm not sure how to enable that, or if there is a way to just have it come up in certain situations (since normally it seems like it would be annoying), but that's the only way I can think of for right clicking, unless you could combine it with a button press.
  12. SFWrtr

Fingernail!? You've gotta be kidding? No, you are not, since others in this thread and on another forum have said that.

Doesn't that mar the screen? I guess I should try that, but I would be much more comfortable if, please, people would chime in about dragging one's nail across the screen.

I just picked up my Pocket PC. Touching with the fleshy part of my finger requires more pressure than I thought, and yes, I do usually touch down my fingernail on the glass. I also never noticed that I often use my thumb to point and wrap my four fingers around the unit, like the neck of a guitar, to increase the pressure on the screen, When holding it two handed, I support the unit so I apply more pressure.

What a revelation! I guess it was psychological, I mean, I haven't touched a LCD screen in the decades I've had notebooks (and growled at fingers that got to close to the panel). Okay, easy going, step by step... Back to the "Tablet PC Touch Training." I'd like to note that Access Help doesn't talk about fingernails.
  13. SFWrtr

Go to the control panel, open Pen and Input Devices, click the Touch tab. Here you can enable or disable the Touch Pointer. The touch tutorial is the link on the option.

Pocket PC users know this intuitively. It is the same on the tablet. Click and hold with your finger or pen. A circle appears draws around where you clicked. Release when the circle completes and you get a context (right-click) menu. Of course, with the pen, there is the pen button. That is configured in Pen and Input Devices, Pen options tab. I am not good a coordinating this one though. Good luck.
  14. Stansfield

Stansfield simple polish newbie

Back to the Superview/Multiview issue: on the lenovo.com X61 configuration page there still is only a MultiView SXGA screen, though everyone say it's a typo, and it should be SuperView. Now are you 100% positive that what they mean is SUPERVIEW, and it's worse than MultiView? Because frankly, I would give'em hell of a fight if I ordered the super duper outdoor MultiView screen and received a much worse (as you say) SuperView.. If it's a typo, why haven't they corrected it yet??
  15. SFWrtr

I had a different, though still important issue with the web page when I ordered my X61t. I called and asked, do I still get the discounts if I order on the phone. The answer was, "Yes." I suggest that you call and order on the phone, making it very clear that you want a MultiView panel, not a SuperView panel. Ask the rep if he is sure which you are getting, and ask him to consult with his team leader. Get the team leader's name (you should already have written down the rep's name, right?). Then order with confidence that any screw-ups are Lenovo's fault, not yours.

I can say that a true MV, like the MV/MT I have, works great in the sun. Very readable (if you keep the screen clean). I've posted pictures in my blog page of my web site. See the link in my sig.
  16. sregreb

sregreb Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh, I never would have guessed. Sounds easy.....
  17. thaluckyspoon

Yeah you can either hold the pen/finger on the screen or the x60 and x61 (I believe at least) have a right click located physically on the pen.

I lose things a lot ( oh well ) so the idea of still being able to take notes while waiting for my replacement pen to come in the mail sold me 100%.
  18. minhthu

minhthu Pen Pal - Newbie

I just went to the Lenovo Website to configure my order. Well, as soon as I chose the L7700 processor (1.8GHz), the option for a Superview SXGA disapears. Anyone knows why ? Would the extra speed worth loosing the higher resolution ?

Besides, I already asked the question in another thread, but here it is again : if you have the SXGA and you chose to work frequently with the 1024x768 resolution (for text), the switch to the 1280 resolution only when needed, would that be logical ? Is the lower resolution as clean as the native one according to you ? Try it and please let me know.

Thanks.
  19. SFWrtr

I can't speak for the SXVGA running at lower res, but I've got 1024x768 Multiview/touch. I accidentally did this a few times, running 800x600, and did not immediate realize it. When you do it intentionally, you see a difference, but it isn't horrible, just less perfect. I regularly run at lower than native res on my DELL 24" monitor, also. Again, noticeable, but not horrible. If you are doing Photoshop work, it would probably matter. Email, nah, wouldn't matter.
  20. tivoboy

tivoboy Pen Pal - Newbie