Multiple cursor (graphic glitch?)

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by muse, May 5, 2011.

1. muse

muse EP121

Hello forum,

sorry if this is in the forum already - I tried searching for it with no hits and it wasn't featured in the stickies.

I've been experiencing cursor glitches where I get multiple cursors in Photoshop - the brush cursor, the arrow cursor and sometimes even a third (!) touch cursor, all hovering in a cluster.

(Only one of them is an actual cursor though, so no weird rake-like drawing..)

Another problem I have is that the calibration in Photoshop is different than the rest of the OS. I read somewhere that I could Wacoms drivers would have seperate calibration with the updated/special drivers, but I'm yet to find it.

Any help is greatly appriciated!

2. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have Wacom pen tablet drivers installed or just stock drivers? If so what version of the Wacom drivers? To get to Wacom driver calibration after installation go to Control Panel>Pen Tablet Properties and click on the Calibrate tab.

What version of Photoshop are you using? 32 or 64bit?

3. muse

muse EP121

Thank you for answering,

I'm using the "Wacom Enhanced Drivers" from this thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/40666-wacom-enhanced-driver-penable-device.html

For some reason I get numerous cursor glitches in Photoshop (CS5 64Bit), some times the calibration is correct until the application is loaded - and then gets a huge offset. Closing the program makes the calibration correct again, reentering PS - same offset. (So it's somehow local/using other calibration)

The multiple cursor glitch is rarer, but I have no clue to why it happens either.

When going to control panel > pen tablet properties to calibrate I get the four point calibration (if that matters, I read somewhere that wacom uses a 2 point calibration?)

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Post a jpg of your hid devices, mouses..
    what are programs installed or hardware presently?

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The multiple cursor glitch is rarer, but I have no clue to why it happens...>>

muse: This might be a Windows problem, not a PS problem. Some time ago, the topic of "multiple" cursors was discussed in another tablet forum. It turned out that the fix was to go into one of the Windows options and explicitly check something. The problem is that I can't remember where the discussion thread was or the details. I'm still looking, though. If I find it, I'll come back and report...

6. JimDandy

JimDandy Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently had a similar problem, the cursor was flashing and there were two or three of them all in a cluster. This seemed to happen when I had used the pen to hover over an item. I use a mouse too so it was this mouse's arrow shaped cursor that was flashing.

My solution was to follow the Wacom Enhanced Driver instructions posted by CF77 on the Sticky of this forum to remove the old and reinstall the interim Wacom driver. The trouble went away only after following that procedure completely.

7. prim

prim Pen Pal - Newbie

This problem appear in some Windows 7 applications, for example in PDF Annotator.
    The solution is given in Scramble cursor in portrait mode (with solution) - Page 2, and also appear in the FAQ section of PDF Annotator website:

1. Open "Control Panel -> Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options" and activate "Display pointer trails" and change the trail length to "short". Apply the changes.
    2. Restart your application.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...1. Open "Control Panel -> Mouse Properties -> Pointer Options" and activate "Display pointer trails" and change the trail length to "short". Apply the changes...>>

prim: Good catch! This is the fix that I was trying to think of.

UPDATE: I finally found the "fix" posting that I remembered. Your version is correct; check Display Pointer Trails and set the trails to "Short." Sorry for the confusion...

I can definitely report that it fixed a multiple cursor problem for me...

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. muse

muse EP121

You guys are fantastic, like a glitch SWAT squad!

After trying out the mouse cursor glitch fix I haven't been able to reproduce it, which feels very promising! Thanks!

As for calibration/tablet drivers;

When I went into the device manager to cap I got a slight heart attack over all the devices - I can't remember it being this many when I initially installed the new drivers following CF77's (fantastic, again thank you) instructions. When I installed them I got the BSOD but managed to get by it in a few reboots. Everything (pressure in PS etc) has been working since then - without lag until recently.

[​IMG]

All these duplicates might explain the lag that has appeared in Photoshop as well (conflicting drivers or just multiple drivers choking each other?). EDIT 2: LAG ISSUE SOLVED, SEE POST BELOW Could it be that Windows have failed to use the new drivers at some point, reinstalling the old ones?

EDIT 1: CF77; Looking at your device manager cap from your post I can tell you have a bunch of them too, the lag must be coming from something else unless you are also experiencing it..?

(I have turned off the Power management thing for the pen & mouse devices that have that option though..)

Maybe the only solution is following the re-install instructions in CF77's post?

My present setup is an EP121 64bit, BIOS 501,
    running the shipped version of Windows 7 and Photoshop CS5.
    (And TouchControl)

Loving this forum, tobad the search function is broken :(

10. muse

muse EP121

The 0.5-1 second lag on the initial stroke(s) in photoshop could be fixed by setting the "double click distance" to minimum, maybe this is something all tablet users are aware of already?

With that solved, it's just the calibration being different in various apps (and the need to reboot in portrait to get it to work in portrait in photoshop) that needs fixing!