MSI Windpad 110w

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by excalibur1814, Jun 20, 2011.

1. suspect-zero

suspect-zero Pen Pal - Newbie

ok , hi every one

finally i got my dual switch camera woking , i just install AMD READON HD driver , and suddenly its working in both resolution 0.3 and 1.3 MP :)
    another fix is the bluetooth issue , its now can send and receive from any devices :)
    for the touch screen its work great without charging the winpad , but when i charge it and use it in the same time the screen thouch start not to work probably
    that because i read in some site that problem appears when the charger is not original which in my case :( but it can be fix i think :)

thank you all
    just want to share this up with you :)

2. eduardoo

eduardoo Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, Intel victim here! :)
    It can still work but I can't enable volume shadow copy (which kills some fall back function and disallowed me to install the Windows Media Centre when I got it for free with my then new Win 8 license), and with the 8.1 upgrade, I can't use AHCI mode and have to use IDE mode (otherwise it will be in a bootloop). The latter point is perhaps not so big a deal as it just seems to slow start up and shutdown somewhat but I can't really tell any difference in normal operation as the MSI had never been a speed demon.

However, it really sucks that none of Intel, MSI, or MS cared to figure out something that fixes something seemingly so fundamental.

I have now moved on to a MS Surface Pro 2 as my main travel computer (which is really a sweet machine) and the MSI now serves permanently attached to my TV for internet videos and browsing on the big screen.

3. genekellyjr

genekellyjr Pen Pal - Newbie

Fun update on my Windpad: the fan started making an annoying grindy sound. The problem developed while it was sitting in its dock running 24/7 for about a year, running as a media machine.

To remedy this, I applied a lot of WD-40, which did nothing.

I took off the sticker on the back of the fan, only to find metal on the back (some fans' stickers come off to reveal the internals of the fan, which you can then WD-40 and clean w/ a Q Tip).

I then decided to drill a hole in the metal shell around the fan and try to shove WD-40 right in there. Drill press made that possible, hand one would be nearly impossible.

Unfortunately, drilling in left a shard of metal sticking down from the hole. That shard cut some of the winding wire, causing more issues. I tamped the winding wire down, but it still was not moving smoothly. Before, it was smoothly moving but made the grinding sounds at high RPM's.

I ended up using an smaller drill bit to shave off the metal sticking down, really tiny. The thing was unbalanced and still not smooth, so I drilled another hole on the other side for symmetry.
    I also had to use the small drill bit to shave off the new shard sticking out on that hole.

After all of that, the fan just won't spin up. I've probably crossed some winding's wire into another winding, maybe multiple times!

So, in short, its fan is hard to fix. And I didn't fix mine. Applying https://code.google.com/p/brazostweaker/ as well as some data I took a couple of years earlier:

P0 - 1 GHz - 0.9250V Stable (0.8250V was also stable, but the tablet would crash when going to P1 state. 0.9250V is the voltage that it can switch states successfully. Finicky thing.)
    P1 - 800 MHz - 0.8250V Stable
    P1 Alt - 666 MHz - 0.775V Stable
    (2 P states! What kind of low power is this?!)

Hopefully the tablet can transition to "fanless" successfully. Repasted with Arctic MX-4 very lightly as well. Top shelf stuff.
    I'll note if I was able to make it work fanless.

I won't be doing this, since I lack a fan, but:
    The GPU can be maxed out on MSI Afterburner also, it shows a 100% improvement with 135 MHz core to 360 MHz core. But to put that in perspective, it was 2 fps to 4 fps on my standard benchmark of MSI Kombustor - D3D10 Benchmark 1280x720 (no submission).
    Out performed an AMD Radeon HD 4250 (500 MHz -> 700 MHz OC) though, so it's got that going for it!

4. pox67

pox67 Scribbler - Standard Member

Keep your eye on Ebay for a Windpad with cracked screen or other fault. You may be able to swap fans.

I normally sell on my old equipment but haven't with the Windpad as I loved it so much. I still use it to play older games and works great as a car media player for the kids.

5. genekellyjr

genekellyjr Pen Pal - Newbie

Will do!

I try to be mad at the Windpad so I can find an excuse to get something new - but when it comes down to it, it works. And it works plenty well enough!

Now I'm seeing how well it puts up with becoming a fanless tablet!

6. bzoum

bzoum Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    I love my Windpad but I would likee more time-battery and more power (I have already added 256 ssd + 8gb DDR3).
    Do you think we can find a better battery ? and a way to boost the proc ? (maybe by changing it).

7. pox67

pox67 Scribbler - Standard Member

You could source a bigger battery but it will be physically bigger that the current battery, you would need to extend the back cover of the Windpad.

I think the CPU is soldered to the main board, you would need to source a replacement board of the same dimensions with a faster CPU and the same peripheral connections. So very unlikely!

Much easier to buy a new Windows tablet - I hear good things about the ASUS transformer range.