MSI Windpad 110w

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by excalibur1814, Jun 20, 2011.

1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. gljvd@aim.com

gljvd@aim.com Pen Pal - Newbie

it uses the z-01 which is almost identical to the c-50 in the acer w500 except it uses 3 watts less .

The 4gigs is also good , however i've seen reports of it only haveing 2 gigs.

Anway should make for a nice windows 8 tablet.

3. laura

laura Pen Pal - Newbie

They have a lesser model (100w) thats 2gb's and a bit weaker (intel based as well i think). Ive preordered the 110W after becoming disappointed with the fujitsu Q550, hopefully its 1GHZ dual-core AMD can beat out intels 1.5GHZ oaktrail. Its graphics card is actually 1,000% faster than the Q550's according to notebookcheck.net, and of course its $150-300 less, same resolution, same screen tech, same weight, and 4gb of ram, which is a must on windows. Only downside is the battery isnt replaceable and its only 4MWh, which is half of the Q550's better battery, which means you're only going to get 3-5hrs tops on it, not so great if you're looking for longterm portability.

4. benleclair

benleclair memento mori

I've also pre-ordered the 110w, but haven't decided if I'm going to let it go through...

I have an Acer w500 that I'm very happy with, but there are definitely some things on the MSI that I'd rather have. (The bodies of these two tablets look very similar at first glance... Wonder if they are using the same suppliers.)

I should wait on reviews, but the screen is IPS so I'm thinking it will probably look better than the Acers. Also on MSI's site it says 4gb, which is great, and it has a USB port on the side (instead of the bottom) and also has a TPM chip.

Now if the 32gb msata drive is easy to replace also, I'd be very happy!

@excalibur1814
    Yeah, with 4gb this actually feels a little more Windows 8/future ready.

@gljvd@aim.com
    Thanks! I was wondering what the processor difference was. Performance should be similar, though?

5. gljvd@aim.com

amd cut out some stuff from the z-01 that isn't needed in tablets. I think they removed 1 of the 3 display pipelines , sata logic and what not. Perfromance should be exactly the same but battery life should go up

6. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Pen input? Details on this machine seem to be severely lacking.

7. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

No pen, that puts is slightly above the w500 because it seems to have a maximum of 4GB ram (comes with 2GB?) and TPM if you want it.

8. Cheshyrkat

Cheshyrkat Pen Pal - Newbie

Afternoon,

Stumbled across this forum and the wealth of information has been astounding. While searching for my next device I came across this Windpad and was actually pretty impressed with the specs and seems like it will easily surpass my current netbook that Im looking to replace however info is very sparse. I see that it does not come with a stylus but does anyone think that being a windows device that it would be possible to adapt some sort of pressure sensitive capacitive pen?

Update: Upon some further searching it seems Pressure sensitive capacitive pens are currently not available or in the infancy stage of development. I see Ten One Designs has an idea for the ipad and while I havent done a lot of research maybe the HTC Flyer has a pressure sensitive pen. Will have to do some more research. If anyone has any information please chime in.

9. gljvd@aim.com

10. grandall

grandall Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received my Windpad 110W from Newegg. I haven't yet turned it on so don't have much to say yet but plan on playing with it tonight and can give feedback if anyone is interested.

So far my only thoughts are that it looks and feels good - it's only slightly heavier than my iPad 1, and is comfortable to hold. The one potential downside I've noticed without yet turning it on is that I can't see any way to easily open it up, like to install a larger SSD than what it comes with. There are no screws on the back. There's a grill that looks like it's something that would have the memory and drive underneath, but no obvious way to get it off.

11. benleclair

benleclair memento mori

Thanks Grandall!

Definitely interested to hear your impressions as far as screen quality, speed, etc.

Do you plan on just leaving it as is, or doing some upgrades? I hope to hear that the back panel comes off much easier than the Acer w500.

Does yours have 4gb memory? Amazon shows it has 2gb, and NewEgg says 4gb. Not sure if there are different models or if one of them has a mistake.

12. grandall

OK, I was unable to resist turning it on and playing with it a bit, although I will do more when I'm done with work. The screen quality seems good. It's clear and bright and doesn't seem to have too much glare. The speed is fine so far. It's very responsive and doesn't have any lag in response. The Windows performance score is 2.8, with the CPU being the low score. The other components range from 4.1 to 5.9. I haven't done enough with it to get any more of a sense as to speed.

It has 4GB of RAM and the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

I would like to upgrade the SSD if I can figure out how to do so. Otherwise the 32GB SSD it came with will likely be a limit. There was only about 11GB free to start with when it first turned on. There are a few things that can be deleted to save some space, but not too much. SD cards might work OK for media storage but not for everything. Also, I'm not sure what the real limit on SD card size is - the manual says SD and SDHC, but doesn't mention SDXC. If that's the case then being limited to the small internal drive and only 32GB of SD card storage at a time would be sort of a pain. I'm more interested in replacing the internal SSD, though.

After being on for an hour or so the back felt slightly warm but not hot. The fan was mostly off except for two or three times when it came on for a second and then went off again.

13. kash7777

kash7777 Pen Pal - Newbie

Should have my windpad 110w from newegg tomorrow, the SSD is easy to replace though, thankfully. it's only 4 screws to take the back off the windpad, they're under the 4 rubber pads on the back. SSD is just a regular mini PCI Express, seems to be a sandisk stock, "SDSA4DH-032G" in it from pics I've seen of it and it's right on top easy to take out.

14. grandall

Thanks - I was wondering if there were screws under those pads but didn't want to try pulling them off without knowing. I'll try that later and see what it looks like underneath.

15. kash7777

16. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After all of the above information the last question on my mind is.... battery life. If it really has less than the W500 then I'm not interested. I do like the fact that you can remove the back and maybe add 4Gb (Which might take 8Gb when available?) but that 4Gb from 2Gb isn't enough for me to change.

17. grandall

Hey, that's neat. OK, so those instructions work. Note that when you pop the case open the power button and the rotation lock switch will probably go flying off somewhere. Go pick them up. You'll want them back at some point. I'm going to have to reopen the case later to get the rotation lock switch back on the computer. I've also permanently lost one of the tiny screws, but that's par for the case.

Anyway, once it's open, replacing the SSD is trivially simple. It's literally about 15 seconds of work. Once that's done, it's just a matter of restoring the backup of the drive (oh, you'll want to have backed up your drive earlier), and you're set. I now have 89.1 GB free on a Renice 120 GB drive rather than about 7 GB on the Sandisk 32 GB. That makes me happier.

That's it for now, as my plans for the morning had involved getting to work about half an hour ago, not spending a bunch of time disassembling and reassembling a computer. I will do more with it this evening and try to offer more feedback, but I think being able to replace the drive has fixed what I saw as being my biggest immediate concern about the tablet.

18. benleclair

benleclair memento mori

The back coming off easily makes it very tempting to sell my w500.... I just bought a Toshiba 128gb mSata with adapter for $170. (Pulled from a new Lenovo.)

I would really like to compare the IPS screen with the Acer w500, which is a very nice screen in its own right. But with the MSI having built in GPS, IPS, upgradeable memory & (easily) upgradeable SSD + TPM chip.. Very tempting.

The only things that hold me back are the battery life as excalibur1814 mentioned and in the entire time I've had my Acer w500, I've never heard a fan or felt any heat. That's awesome to me. (And the price also, I guess. I got my Acer w500 for $515, and that included the dock.)

EDIT: Wow, I was looking at the specs and is it correct the Windpad is smaller yet over a pound HEAVIER than the w500?? (10.66" x 7.20" x 0.61" 3.3 pounds vs 10.83" x 7.48" x 0.63" 2.14 pounds, according to NewEgg)

19. kash7777

It's actually 850 grams, so it's less than 2 pounds, 1.87 pounds. I think 100 grams lighter than the acer W500, it *feels* amazingly light, I'm really surprised. Build quality seems okay but not great it's plastic-ie, no metal. One thing I hate, and I've noticed lately on some other stuff, the power adapter cord is *ridiculously* short, like 3 feet, if that and just feels kinda cheap. It comes with 4 gigs of DDR3 1333 I believe stock, atleast the US model, 110W-014US. No idea if you could upgrade it to 8 gigs but from what I've seen online you can take the ram out and replace it it's not soldered in.

20. Kirr

Kirr Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it's just inaccuracy.
    3.3 pounds looks more like gross (brutto) package weight.