mSATA <-> SATA connector cable?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by JClishe, Mar 2, 2011.

1. JClishe

JClishe Pen Pal - Newbie

I plan on ordering the Intel 310 80GB disk (I have the 32/2 model) and would like to clone the original disk to the new disk with EASUS disk copy (a procedure I've done many times in the past when upgrading machines to larger drives). However, since I'll be working with mSATA disks, I'll need a connector in order to connect both disks to my desktop at the same time to perform the clone.

Does anyone have any experience with this mSATA to SATA connector cable? I'm thinking it should work but would like a second opinion, as I want to ensure I have all of the correct components on hand because I only want to crack the Asus open once (I'm doing a memory upgrade at the same time).

Newegg.com - SYBA 40" SATA to Mini SATA cable (Power Cable length 6'') Model CL-CAB40022 - Cables

Thanks

Jason

2. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

don't bother cloning, just do a fresh install or a restore (fresh is your best bet, restore would lock your partition size i think). If you do a clone then you will copy the partition data, meaning you would have a 32gb partition on an 80gb drive. You need to do a fresh install.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't think either of those things you are talking about will work (the Intel drive, and certainly not the cable connector you linked -that is for a desktop, and it is not what you would need anyways)

EDIT: actually the Intel 310 can just be dropped in place of the current SSD. I would advise a fresh install as it will avoid the issues of going from a smaller drive to a larger one. it is always better to do a fresh install anyways

4. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

Partition size is easily extended using disk management. After years of doing "fresh" installations.... I am now a fan of disk imaging/cloning and realize that the IT systems admins have had it right all along.

:)ensen.

5. JClishe

JClishe Pen Pal - Newbie

Cloning a drive to a larger drive and then extending the partition is a piece of cake and FAR easier than doing a clean install.

While I do completely agree that a clean install is usually the preferred choice, I've had this device in my possession for a matter of days. It still IS a clean install :) and doing another clean install after I've just finished configuring everything to my liking would be pointless.

Agent 9, can you clarify your comment about this not being the correct connector? You are correct, this cable is for a desktop. That's what I need. As I said in my original post, I need to connect both of these SSD's to my desktop at the same time in order to perform the disk clone. So I need a connector with a regular SATA connection on one end, and an mSATA connection that will work with the Intel 310 on the other. I THINK the cable I linked would be the right one, but would really like some verification.

6. Edwood

Edwood Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless you've installed a lot of stuff, it would be much easier to use the restore disc.

Might as well do a clean install, and then do a image back up of that install. Better to start with a clean slate.

7. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

8. pkirill

pkirill Pen Pal - Newbie

9. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

i think mSATA and mini SATA are different. I've ordered an SSDMA adapter, which supposedly allows mSATA drives to become external USB mass storage. search SSDMA on ebay, it should be like $24.

10. pkirill

pkirill Pen Pal - Newbie