MS Office on Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kornchild2002, May 16, 2014.

1. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hello everyone. I normally hang out in the Notebook forums but I've been contemplating purchasing a Surface Pro 2 as my primary notebook, desktop, and tablet. I like the idea of having an all-in-one unit that I can use as a tablet, turn into a notebook with the battery keyboard cover, and then use as a desktop whenever I get home with the Surface Dock. I played around with one yesterday at the Microsoft Store and was really impressed. I really only have one question though. Currently, with my MacBook Pro and Office 2011, PowerPoint offers a presentation mode when outputting to an external monitor. The external monitor will show the presentation but my Mac's monitor will show the current slide, any notes I have for that slide, the time from when the presentation has started, and then the next slide. I have become used to this and used it quite a bit when giving presentations. Does the Surface Pro 2 offer something similar (or the same thing) when displaying PowerPoint presentations with Office 2013? If it does, I will seriously contemplate getting a Surface Pro 2 though I am waiting 4 days to see what Microsoft does at their Surface event on the 20th.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Yes it built into Office 2013 as well (actually been on the PCs from at Office 2010)

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes Scribbler - Standard Member

You have this features. It is part of Office 2010, and 2013.
    Office is, however, not included in the Surface Pro 2 out of the box. Much like your Mac, you need to purchase a license.

If you have multiple system, have a look at Microsoft Office 365. It's a subscription option for 5 PC or Mac and devices for 99$ per year (US/Canadian pricing) - auto update for free when a new Office comes out - and includes all Office software. If you only have 1 system, you can get the full license, it will be a better value at only 150$ per PC, the basic edition, or you can check out the other editions of course.

If you are a student, you can get Office 365 University, which all the Office programs for 4 years for only 75$ total (US/Canadian prices), for 2 PC/Macs

Just something to look into, based on your needs.

4. kornchild2002

I currently have a student 4 year Office 365 subscription so that isn't an issue. I wasn't interested in the Surface Pro 2 until I was walking by the MS store yesterday and saw that they were selling it for $200 off. I had always contemplated having an all-in-one PC but didn't think it could happen until I started playing around with it yesterday. I just wasn't sure if PowerPoint offered the same functionality when displaying a presentation as I haven't used PowerPoint on a Windows PC, like that, for a good 5 years (before I upgraded to Office 2010).

5. aznguyen316

aznguyen316 Pen Pal - Newbie

$200 off a surface pro 2? Sounds like a great price. Wonder if this has anything to do with a possible sp3 announcement.

6. kornchild2002

Well, it's not quite $200. They are running a back to school promotion where every PC in their store, $599 and up, is $100 off. Students can then get an additional 10% off from the original price. So it's $199 off of the 128GB Pro 2 and $189 off of the 64GB model.