MPP tricks and optimization?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by chucklepunch, Oct 19, 2021.

1. chucklepunch

chucklepunch Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll double check on enabling it for Lasso. I didn't see that immediately but I was pretty focused on the brush thing.

Yeah, I spent about 45 minutes testing settings and especially in the pressure graph, couldn't figure it out. I could get varying degrees of "better," but it always had inconsistent behavior at the point of first pressure activation. Since it happens randomly (I would say about once every 5 strokes), any adjustments to correct it would cause errant behavior when the problem disappeared. Know what I mean? When graphed to correct the incorrect initialization, LN would apply the pressure graph to a correct stroke and throttle it, basically.

Would be cool if it could sense and react. So it only corrects the bugged strokes. Doesn't appear to be the functionality though.

2. jedah

jedah Scribbler - Standard Member

Just curious if you ended up trying out the Raphael 520. This laptop caught my attention too, but I was really unsure of Asus' implementation of MPP. I think Microsoft and HP have tried to improve the experience, but not so sure about Asus.

3. chucklepunch

It arrived today. Really nice little pen. Feels much nicer than the surface pen.

But, no luck. Same problems. However, I was reading through comments and threads and people have been noticing much more reliable pen interactions on Windows 11- particularly for older Surface Pros. So I figure I'll upgrade and see if there's any improvement. Might as well ha.

Meanwhile the Lenovo Yoga C940 I'm currently testing in tandem is just cruising along, near perfect pen experience

thatcomicsguy and Marty like this.
  4. chucklepunch

Updated to Windows 11. It does work a bit better. If I'm careful I can get it to initiate pressure without starting at 50% before correcting itself back to a normal curve. I have to be quite mindful and deliberate though and it's still not 100% reliable, but it is better than Windows 10 for whatever reason. Still, sometimes it insists on going "OK IM HERE LETS PAINT SOME SH*T" as soon as the pen makes like an atom width of contact with the screen.

I have to keep Lazy Nezumi running and set to "massive," and it's still got a touch of the jitters. Of course I can tweak further, but I wanted to experiment with what should be the maximum tweaking and see how it goes. I added some Photoshop smoothing on top just to see and it did indeed finally smooth out. Then I was able to "ink" and walk away with nice linework and no lag (thanks to the Ryzen 9). Just for the record, I have a very very sturdy hand. Many years of traditional inking and I've been working as a full-time digital artist since 2007. On my Lenovo Yoga C940 15" and my older keep-it-around-cuz-i-love-it Lenovo Yoga 370, I can get perfect lines with little to no smoothing at all. So it is absolutely an Asus problem.

Soooo... shrug. The machine is amazing and honestly perfect except for the drawing stage. It's much better for painting, as variance in pressure doesn't matter so much when you have dual brushes, texture, noise, etc etc modifiers on the brush tip. I was able to paint pretty much pain free, save for the occasional undo when a stroke I had intended to be semi-transparent came out basically fully opaque. I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not. I use Blender A LOT and it is literally 2x faster in Blender at minimum. Some tasks are 3x to 5x faster and some tasks won't even run on my C940s GTX 1650. For physics, simulations, real-time render view, etc... it's just no contest.

Sometime today or tomorrow I'll upload some images from my testing. Hopefully this little rambling helps someone out there who thought this ASUS could be THE ONE. The Yoga C940- btw- is the best 2-in-1 I've ever used when it comes to just drawing and painting. i7-9750h, 16gb ram, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB, 15" 1920x1080 400+ nits. The Yoga 9i is the newer version and I would expect it to go on sale for super cheap come Black Friday.

/Ramble

thatcomicsguy and Eltos like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey @chucklepunch, been following your tribulations with some interest. I was wonder have you tried installing the N-Trig Wintab drivers and seeing if pressure behaves differently in CSP.

It can be found as Wintab_x64_1.0.0.20.zip in the SP3 driver pack (which looks like it got a recent update, as previously it was version Wintab-1.0.0.18-64-bit.)

Another thing is trying to zero out the low-end of the pressure curve in CSP and adjusting the individual brush curves similarly.

I'm with you man. I had the Z Canvas previously, and it was a dream, but for the pen (although in CSP it worked superbly). Hopefully you'll be able to get over this last hurdle and reach drawing nirvana on your unicorn. ;)

6. chucklepunch

Ah yes, the drawvana unicorn. *pops open sketch idea notepad file* :p

I did install the wintab drivers early on. I assume they carried over to the Windows 11 install, but I guess I should verify when I get home.

I haven't tweaked CSP settings too much because I've been focused on Photoshop. I'd prefer to ditch Photoshop altogether but I need it for a couple classes I teach. Performance in CSP was better overall.

I'll try taking the pressure curve and kinda scooting it over so that it initiates just a bit more towards central pressure and see if I can jump the goofy initial initiation bug. In the end, I think it would basically feel like there is a bit of lag on the stylus, right? I'll definitely give it a try and see, and record the process with OBS.

Thanks ✌

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I just noticed... The "Tablet PC" (MPP ?) pen driver in the most recent version of Clip Studio Paint (ver 1.11.4) doesn't suck anymore.

Back when I started using my portable for drawing, the native Windows 10 pen driver was good at long, quick strokes, but got crunchy and imprecise when doing picky detail work. So I'd switch over to the Wintab driver for up-close stuff. Unfortunately, Wintab was bad at long, quick strokes, (you'd get that 'stop sign' effect when doing fast circles.)

So anyway, just ten minutes ago, I was just trying to decide what driver to use for my next drawing, and found myself switching between them to compare. -And lo & behold..! The "Tablet PC" option was performing just as well up tight as Wintab's. Well.., that's new! (To me, anyway.)

It must be something CSP did, because I've not changed anything else.

Cool.

I can tick off another item off my, "I hope somebody eventually fixes this" list!

Lilawyn, Eltos and dellaster like this.